The Quiet Will Come Too Soon

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5 Comments A+ a-

There's noise, always noise in our house. Sometimes its happy noise, or sometimes its rough-housing noise. Sometimes there's fighting, or the sound of Mom losing her patience. There's giggling, discipline being meted out, there's whispered secrets that aren't quiet enough. Toddler tantrums, a baby crying, TV blaring, music playing, feet chasing, couch jumping, sibling fighting, dishwasher running.

Noise. Its inevitable in a house with four children. I can't remember the last time the house wasn't alive with it. And while sometimes I want to run in my closet and lock the door just for a few minutes of quiet, there are other times I stop and try to soak it in.

Tonight as we got ready to go to my parents house to watch the Broncos game, Jon and I just looked at each other from across the room.

The Disney music channel was playing from my phone and Taylor Swift, The Band Perry, and Hannah Montana filled our living room. Jon and I had pushed and prodded feet into socks, then into shoes. Hair had been redone, and clean shirts put on. And it felt like we'd just run a Marathon. Too tired to actually get up and make our way out the door.

So we sat there, Jon in the easy chair and I on the floor. Eyes locked as we soaked in the moment.

Watching Hudson and Devyn tease and torment each other. Laughing as one took it to a physical level and soon both were wrestling on the floor. Watching our two-year-old sway her hips and turn in circles to the music. We marveled at her rhythm and wondered how she could possibly be turning 3-years-old next month. We listened to the baby giggle as she watched her older siblings from the safety of my lap. She rested her head against my chest, too tired to prove she's big like them.

Jon sighed a contented sigh, and again we locked eyes. A smile came across his face and he spoke what we were both thinking. "Its a chaotic family, but I love it. And its ours."

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Mrs. I
AUTHOR
6:40 AM delete

I love this post! LOVELOVELOVE!

It brought tears to my eyes...truly.

Life is so short and it's so important to embrace the life we have and those moments.

xoxox

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
7:00 AM delete

LOVE. I want to repost this and borrow your words because it's exactly how I feel (although at our Littles' ages and stages it's usually tantrums and me wanting to hide somewhere) but the good moments, Sweet Moses they're good.

It goes without saying you're seriously a gifted writer for taking a quick snapshot of your family and writing about it in a way I felt like I was a fly on the wall watching y'all. Kinda creepy I know, sorry. ;-)

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
8:02 AM delete

Oh goodness, I LOVE this post and the way it was written...beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:02 AM delete

Ditto to what Dana said. I loved this post Jenn (even though it did give me a little anxiety) =)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:36 PM delete

I also want to ditto what Dana said. I think she worded it perfectly for me. You are a gifted writer.
Although I only have 2 instead of 4, we have so many moments like that too.
When the kids are with a sitter or grandparents, we already notice the quiet. And it's too quiet. :)

Reply
avatar