Six Years and Counting

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 10 Comments A+ a-

Six years ago, on October 4, 2005, I hit publish on my very first blog post and never looked back.  It has been one of the greatest things I've endeavored and I can’t begin to explain all that blogging has meant to me.

It has been with me through the announcements of three of my four pregnancies, two sisters’ weddings, post-partum depression, my sister’s struggle with infertility.  It has allowed me to journal my lessons as a mom and wife, its given me a place to voice frustrations and rants.  Its become the scrapbook of each child’s milestones and stories and pictures.  Its given me nights of reading through the archives and making me misty from the forgotten moments.

This blog chronicles our story.  My story.

6 years.  It’s the longest I’ve kept a journal.  I can’t begin to tell you how many journals I have in storage.  I’d run my hands over the new cover and dream of the things I’d fill its pages with.  I was so inspired that I’d write in it every day… for a month.  Then it would drop to once or twice a week, then once or twice a month.  Then not at all.  And my half-empty journal joined all the other half-filled journals in the bottom of my dresser drawer, underneath my shirts and jeans.

The fact that I’ve maintained this journal for six years is beyond my comprehension.  Yet, somehow I’ve done it and I’m so happy I did. 

6 years…  Wow.

And if I’d known then what I know about blogging, I would say this to my past self.

  • The friendships made through blogging are very real.  Some won’t understand and will think you’re crazy, but Amy in Washington is every bit as real and authentic and loved as those with I have history with..
  • And some won’t understand the desire or willingness to be so open and transparent with the world wide web.  Just smile and nod.
  • Make sure you have approval from anyone who might be affected by a post… especially Jon, the sisters, and your mom.  Sigh.  Lesson learned.
  • Figure out why you’re blogging and remain true to that reason.  Don’t try to be someone you’re not.
  • lf you’re willing to put yourself out there, just be aware that there will be judgments whether its asked for or not.  Shake it off.
  • If a post is ever questionable, sleep on it.  You’ll thank me in the morning.
  • Remember that there’s a chance that anyone you’ve ever met might stumble upon your little corner of the internet.  And don’t be surprised when you’re introduced as “…this is the lady whose blog I shared with you.”
  • This will become one of your greatest treasures.  Its worth is immeasurable.

Thank you for following along on this journey of mine.  I don’t know how you found me or if you know me through the internet or in real life, but I hope that this blog has touched you or made you laugh along the way.  It certainly has shaped my life.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Lynsey
AUTHOR
5:54 AM delete

Happy 6 Years of blogging! I've really enjoyed reading your blog thus far!

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
6:34 AM delete

So glad I found you in the blog/twitter world!!! Happy 6 years of blogging!!!! :)

Reply
avatar
Kat
AUTHOR
7:24 AM delete

Happy 6 year blogaversary! :)

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:48 AM delete

Wow, I can't believe it's been 6 years of blogging already too. You were YOUNG when you started! =)
And I'm so happy you did because you also introduced me to one of my favorite hobbies!

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
8:10 AM delete

Thank you for starting your blogging journey 6 years ago...it has led to some pretty beautiful friendships!!

Reply
avatar
Vicki
AUTHOR
8:23 AM delete

Congrats on 6 years of blogging! I love the way you write. I just sat here and clicked through each of your links to past posts ... Loved each of them! :)

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
12:32 PM delete

Yay! Happy 6 years! I'm so glad that I met you through blogging! You are such a great mom and I love reading about your sweet family. Thanks for sharing!! : )

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:13 PM delete

Great advice! Even if the advice was for yourself, I think we all benefitted from it. :)
I've loved following your blog from day one and I intend to read and follow along as long as you have a blog.
Happy 6 years to you!

Reply
avatar
Jody
AUTHOR
7:05 PM delete

Happy 6 years to your blog!

I don't remember when I started to follow your blog, but I do enjoy reading your posts. A lot of them have helped me as a mom and a daughter of Christ to know that I am not the only one dealing with certain issues.

Reply
avatar
MamaBear
AUTHOR
9:38 PM delete

Happy blogiversary!!! You gave some great advice! I'm so glad to have found your little corner of the internet Jenn! Your story has touched my life so many times over the years.

Blessings from BearCountry!

Carrie

Reply
avatar