Some Miscellaneous Favorites

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7 Comments A+ a-

So, this is a completely random post about a few of my favorite things.  There is no rhyme or reason to this post, which is a good indicator of the scattered state I’m currently in.  I’m afraid this is as deep as I’m going to get this week.  We’re in wedding countdown mode…

Speaking of which, rather than bore y’all with a 3rd post about Alli’s bachelorette party, I’m just going to direct you to my sisters’ posts here and here.  This is the downside of sisters blogging too. You get inundated with duplicate posts.  Just wait until after the wedding… You’re going to be sick of us!

Moving on.

First up is one of my favorite Android apps.  About 4:00 every afternoon, I turn my attention to dinner.  And I’m always at a loss of what to make.  (I realize that I could totally create menus and save myself the trouble, but that’s beside the point.)  Enter the AllRecipes Dinner Spinner.  Psst. It’s a free app too.

AllRecipesCollageYou can enter specific ingredients and dietary needs, the type of dish, and how much time you have to prepare it.  Click View Matches, and it pulls up all the recipes in that category.  Or if you don’t have any specific requirements, just shake your phone and random recipes pop up.  This app has saved dinner on more than one occasion.

Random side note: I found a new favorite Pumpkin Bread recipe on the actual All Recipes website.  I posted it on our recipe blog.  Delicious!

Moving on.

I don’t know about the rest of you that blog on Blogger, but the formatting drives me absolutely crazy.  There are spaces where I don’t want them, I can’t get paragraphs to line up, etc.  And forget pictures, that throws everything into a tailspin.

Enter Windows LiveWriter.

WindowsLiveWriterScreenschotNow I realize that this isn’t available to you Mac people, and I’m sorry for that, because I think this is the best blogging program… ever!  I rarely post through blogger.com anymore and more often than not, post from this program.  It makes formatting blog posts, pictures, lists, tables, etc. a breeze!

It’s a free program that you download to your PC, you run through the set-up instructions and viola, you’re up and running.  Its my little blogging secret.

Ok, I gotta go now. Relatives are starting to arrive today for the upcoming nuptials and I have pumpkin muffins to bake.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Mindy
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Going to give Livewriter a try...thanks for sharing. I dislike blogger...

Reply
avatar
Angie
AUTHOR
11:22 AM delete

I have been wanting to try LiveWriter for a long time, but I am so scared of change. Yes I realize this makes me sound old, so maybe I will put on my big girl pants and give it a try!

I ♥ Allrecipes!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:48 PM delete

Darn it. You've given me yet ANOTHER reason to buy a smart phone. I think the All Recipes Dinner Spinner looks awesome and handy! Fun, informational post. Love you.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
1:54 PM delete

I LOVE that app!
And I was thinking the same thing this weekend. People are going to get so sick of reading about the wedding between our 3 blogs. Oh well I guess...

Reply
avatar
5:55 PM delete

I love allrecipes.com I will have to try this app and it sounds like fun too! :)

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
7:42 PM delete

I will not be sick of reading wedding posts! And tell your Aunt D to bring me back a pumpkin treat. And autumn.

Reply
avatar
Lynsey
AUTHOR
7:45 PM delete

I need to give Livewriter a try. I don't mind blogger but it looks like livewriter would be more user friendly.

Reply
avatar