An Emotional Mess

Thursday, September 01, 2011 10 Comments A+ a-

I’ve done this before… You’d think I’d be a pro at this by now, that it would get easier each time.  I certainly didn’t expect this to be so hard, and yet I’ve spent most of the day blinking back tears, the lump in my throat threatening to give way to the dam of emotions threatening to break loose.

I was admiring my Ashlynn Rose in the grocery store, 9 months old today, when I got the call.  She was sitting up in the grocery cart, proud as could be and you could tell she felt so grown-up.  I was enjoying her giggles as she watched her older brother and sister’s antics.  Watching my middle children hop from the cart’s car to the aisle to their sister, and back again.

When I heard the phone ring, I looked down at the caller ID and since I didn’t recognize the number, I didn’t answer it.  But a thought niggled in the back of my mind and I knew who it was.  Sure enough, once groceries and Littles were loaded into the car, I checked my voicemail.  I called the unfamiliar number back and started talking with the woman on the other end.  Hudson’s preschool teacher.

Hudson had been on a waiting list for preschool and last we’d heard, it was still a full class.  Imagine my surprise when she told us about the Open House the next day, and I asked, “So, he’s in?”  She laughed and assured me that yes, not only was he in, his name was already on everything and they couldn’t wait to meet him.

We exchanged a few more details, promised to connect at the Open House, and hung up.  When I told Hudson about his new teacher and school, his excitement was almost palpable.  We discussed all the details on the way home.

“Mama, is my teacher a boy?  Or a girl?”

“My teacher is probably Miss Benedict.”  “No, Baby,” I assured him, “I’m pretty sure she’s going to stay Devyn’s teacher.”  He frowned, “No, I think she’s going to be my teacher too.”

“Mama, what are my friends’ names?”

“I’m only going to play with the boys.  Not the girls.”

“Reagan, you can’t go to school yet.  You’re just a baby.”  To which, Reagan promptly burst into tears and no amount of reassurances from me could soothe her little heart.

The rest of the day has been spent between encouraging Hudson’s excitement and curiosity over this major milestone in his life; reassuring Reagan that one day she’ll be at school too; and allowing my own heart to grieve the passing of time. 

It begins anew.  This letting go of yet another baby.  Entrusting him to a new adult in his life and new adventures.  But yet, my heart hurts.  It feels as though it was just yesterday I was admiring his gorgeous, blond curls and listening to his baby giggles.  It feels like it was just yesterday that I was dropping Devyn off at her first day at the same preschool.

He’s ready, I know he’s ready.  I’ve never seen a child mature and grow as much as Hudson has this summer.  He’s matured in every way imaginable… emotionally, physically, even spiritually.  I blinked and he turned into a boy.  He’s ready for this next step of independence, of making new friends, of playing and running with boys his own age.  I can only imagine how much more he’s going to bloom this year.

Zoo21He may be ready, but I am not.  I’m going to miss my little man.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Ashlynn
AUTHOR
3:02 AM delete

I'm right there with ya! My first baby starts preschool next week and while at orientation tonight, I kept thinking, "How did we get here so fast?" I'm fighting lumps too!

Here's to a good year at preschool for all of us :)

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
7:04 AM delete

This is so sweet!!! He is so precious!!!!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:55 AM delete

Ok, thanks for making me start my work day crying. I can't believe how big all of your kids are getting Jenn. Seriously, it makes my own heart ache and they aren't even mine.

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
8:45 AM delete

Even I am in tears. I don't want my baby boy to grow up! Sweet post Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
12:31 PM delete

All these posts today about babies growing up. I'm a wreck! It is so sad to think about how fast it goes. But you sure do have one handsome little preschooler right there! Thinking of you!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
1:54 PM delete

Hugs to you, Mama.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:52 PM delete

Aww, what a sweet post. Made me a bit emotional myself. I can't believe how quickly they are growing too. Hudson will love it. I just know he will.

Reply
avatar
Jenna
AUTHOR
9:12 PM delete

Oh this made me cry!!! I am dreading the day when I send my kids to school. My friends don't understand why I don't do MDO and this is it! I love my boys and want them with me all the time, and soon enough I'll have to let them go.

Reply
avatar
Momof4Girls
AUTHOR
10:43 PM delete

Our little man is growing up so fast!! =( You don't believe when the babies are born, but then time starts going faster and faster! I know he's excited, but the heart of mama is mixed. I know how it feels, honey.
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Cheryl E.
AUTHOR
6:53 AM delete

Aw your sweet babies are growing up. It's not fair. They dont ask if they are allowed to grow up they just do it. Makes for lots of sad mommies. Hang in there mama :)

Reply
avatar