Sacred Marriage It Is

Thursday, August 25, 2011 27 Comments A+ a-

41 MwDIy 8L__SS500_

Your marriage is more than a sacred covenant with another person. It is a spiritual discipline designed to help you know God better, trust him more fully, and love him more deeply… Scores of books have been written that offer guidance for building the marriage of your dreams. But what if God’s primary intent for your marriage isn’t to make you happy… but holy? And what if your relationship isn’t as much about you and your spouse as it is about you and God?

Well, the masses have spoken and Sacred Marriage it is.  I’m really excited about this for two reasons.  One, it’ll allow us to have a broader audience this time around.  And two, I’m always looking for a way to make my marriage stronger. 

So I guess, we’re ready to start.  Please bear with me as we iron out details as we go along.  I’ve never imagined doing a Blogger/Twitter bible study before, so I’m sure there might be some bumps along the way.  I appreciate your patience in advance!

Just to recap…

  • We’re going to read one chapter every two weeks.  This book has 13 chapters, so we’re looking at 26 weeks or 6 months.  That’s a long time, and I certainly understand if its too much of a commitment at this time.
  • Every other Tuesday we’ll post our thoughts on the chapter, and link back on this blog so we can all read each other’s posts.
  • The following Thursday, we’ll hold a discussion about the chapter on Twitter. 
  • I will also be creating a private Facebook page so we can interact there too, as well as share prayer requests.

If you’re interested in joining us on this adventure, please do the following.

  1. Buy a copy of the Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas.  I have a list of sites where its available below, and I’m sure its available at your local Christian book store too.
  2. Either leave a comment on this post, or send me a private email at biggest_blessings (at) yahoo (dot) com.  In the comment or email, please give me your name, email address, and/or Twitter handle.
  3. Have the 1st chapter read and your thoughts ready to post about by Tuesday, September 13th.

Whew.  I think that’s it!  And if you made it all the way to the bottom of this post, I’m impressed. 

I’m praying that in the midst of us learning together, growing closer to God and our spouses, that God will also be glorified in this body of women.  I hope you’ll be able to join us!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

27 comments

Write comments
Joanna Noel
AUTHOR
7:44 AM delete

LOVE this idea! If you guys ever do one that a single could join in on I would so do it with you!

Reply
avatar
7:59 AM delete

This is an amazing book! Gary Thomas presents the covenant of marriage in its right (and radical to some) place in our lives. We recommend it and utilize the message when we work with pre-marriage ministry. @Joanna This would still be an excellent study for you--surveying marriage from the perspective of God's purposes.

Reply
avatar
Cheryl E.
AUTHOR
8:03 AM delete

I am very excited to do this with you. My email is CherylEnlow@yahoo.com and my twitter is CAE1982. I am going to go buy the book now.

Reply
avatar
Jessica
AUTHOR
8:11 AM delete

Yay! I'm so excited that this is the one that everyone wanted! Count me in! jessicaaclough@gmail.com

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:13 AM delete

I'm pretty sure I can do this. Let me check my schedule before I really commit but I need a study like this right now. Thanks Jenn!

Reply
avatar
Lynsey
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

I am excited to be a part of this! My email is lynsey.petree{at}gmail(dot)com and twitter is themoorefamily

Reply
avatar
9:24 AM delete

I'm in! firebug501{at}gmail{dot}com. I'm downloading the book to my kindle now... :-)

Reply
avatar
Ashley E.
AUTHOR
9:57 AM delete

I've been wanting to read this! Sounds like a great idea. adeichhorn@hotmail.com

Reply
avatar
MamaBear
AUTHOR
10:53 AM delete

count me in!
4theloveoffamily@gmail
twitter 4MamaBear

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:40 AM delete

I'm in! You have my email and I just got a Twitter account: SarahMama4
I've been wanting to read this book ever since I heard the author speak at the Focus on Marriage Conference!

Reply
avatar
Cindy
AUTHOR
11:54 AM delete

Love this. I just finished reading The Help yesterday on my kindle and was contemplating what to read next. I was about to start SM this afternoon. I bought for my kindle a few weeks ago since it was on sale. What perfect timing!

cmgalloway12@gmail.com
Twitter: cmgalloway

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
12:11 PM delete

I just downloaded it to my Kindle! My email address is serfass@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Dana

Reply
avatar
Jill Davis
AUTHOR
12:39 PM delete

I would love to! I will see if I can get the book soon!

Reply
avatar
1:31 PM delete

I want to join! Stephanie turnersa@gmail.com Twitter is @doylesdays

Reply
avatar
Kim H.
AUTHOR
2:05 PM delete

Count me in!

Kim
KBHawkins00 AT gmail DOT com

Twitter: KBHawkins00

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:17 PM delete

Looks awesome. I want to join. I really do. I'm just not sure if I can make that kind of time commitment right now. I need this study though. Aaah. I'll have to see how crazy the next two weeks are to see if I can make this work. Because I want to. Ha!
Thanks for leading. Sounds exciting.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
5:24 PM delete

This book is fantastic! I'm not sure if I'll commit to reading it again with you guys, but I'll definitely check in to see everyone's thoughts. Wonderful choice!!

Reply
avatar
Ali Thompson
AUTHOR
5:40 PM delete

Count me in! I already have this book, so that's easy! You already follow me on Twitter @AliRThompson.

Yay!

Also, Joanna Noel said if we do this again, she'd like a book a single can do. There's this book by John Ortberg called The Me I Want to Be that looks really good and would apply broadly. Just throwing it out there for future notes.

Reply
avatar
Kerbi
AUTHOR
7:24 PM delete

I LOVE this! I have been wanting to do a Bible study for some time now! Count me in!
kerbihardwick@gmail.com
https://twitter.com/#!/KerbiH

Reply
avatar
Jane
AUTHOR
1:49 AM delete

This is such an awesome idea. I would really love to be a part of it. Now, I just need to go find the book!

janeysfavoritethings@gmail.com and JanesFavThings on Twitter!

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
8:37 PM delete

Mindy Hill
mindymichaela@gmail.com
If it's ok, I don't plan to participate via twitter.

Reply
avatar
8:54 AM delete

Count me in! I have this book on our bookshelf and haven't gotten around to reading it. Brittany Miller, mrsyellowribbon@gmail.com

Reply
avatar
KM
AUTHOR
12:21 PM delete

Count me in! Buying the book today!

CMsmommy10@gmail.com

@CMsmommy

Reply
avatar
Janessa
AUTHOR
11:18 AM delete

I'm a new follower of your blog. I am very excited about reading this book with you all! I am engaged and I'm trying to find as much support from anything to help us on our journey of marriage. I look forward to reading more from this blog :)


www.futuremills.blogspot.com

x's and o's

Reply
avatar
6:29 PM delete

I'm in! Book was delivered today. Andreabontrager@gmail.com
Twitter: andreabean (which I never use)
Www.whenhopefloats.blogspot.com (which I never update)

Reply
avatar
Kim
AUTHOR
9:51 AM delete

Count me in!!
Kim Lawhon
bolenkimberly2@gmail.com
Twitter: kalawhon
I'm going to go make that purchase today! Definitely something I need to relate to others about In my life today! Thank you for this!!

Reply
avatar
Leslie
AUTHOR
9:19 AM delete

I wanna join the group, but I'm a little behind!!!!!! I just started the book, too!

Leslie Hale
@lesliehale
lhale794@gmail.com

Reply
avatar