One for the Books, err, Blog

Monday, August 08, 2011 7 Comments A+ a-

Its been a while since I last updated this ‘ol blog of mine.  I even joked last week on Twitter that it was gathering dust and spider webs.  But as I told a friend, since I blog for myself, its nice to not feel the pressure to blog every day.  I can take breaks whenever I want, and although this last break was unintentional, it felt good.

Truth be told, I just haven’t felt up to posting.  I can’t decide if its because of summer or just feeling overwhelmed by life in general, that put this blog on the back burner.  But we’ve had a number of things happen lately and I must document it.  We could talk about why I’m positive I’m losing my mind… or why I chose to turn down the dream job for a stay-at-home-mom… or our recent weekend trip to the cabin… or the plans I have for Munchkin Land Designs… or getting not just one, but two, Littles ready for a new school year… or how I feel about Devyn and Hudson taking a small vacation without either parent… 

But there is one more important than all the rest…  it’s the day we as parents all pray and hope for… the privilege of bringing our young ones into God’s family.  And we had such the honor with our Little Man on Saturday night.  A night that will forever be imprinted on my heart as one of the top moments in my life.

It’s a topic that’s weighed heavily on my mind lately.  I wondered when Hudson was going to start asking questions, questions that Devyn had already been asking for some time at this age.  I prayed that God would grant me wisdom and insight into Hudson’s heart, that I would take advantage of the moments when Hudson expressed interest in Jesus, Heaven, or God.  And over the past couple of weeks, he’s asked more questions, been a little more inquisitive, but I believed his salvation was still a ways off.

Imagine my surprise when on our way back to the cabin, after a goodbye reception for our pastor and his wife, that Hudson made the decision to ask Jesus into his heart. 

We had WAY FM playing in the background, I was sitting in the backseat between Devyn and Hudson, while I tried to hush a crying Ashlynn.  We talked about Collins (the child we recently adopted from Kenya through Compassion, another story for another post) and whether or not he knew about Jesus.  We talked about Heaven, we talked about God, and then Hudson asked the question I’ve been waiting to hear, “How do you asked Jesus into your heart?”

I literally felt my own heart turn over in my chest.  This was it, I knew it.  We discussed Jesus dying on the cross for our sins, that we needed to ask Jesus for forgiveness for our own sins, and invite him into our hearts and be the master of our lives.  It was a fine balance between explaining it in a way our 4-year-old could understand, but not diminishing the importance of the moment.

And I expected, he asked me to help him pray so “Jesus can live in my heart”.  I asked if he wanted to wait until we got back to the cabin so Daddy could pray with us, but Hudson was not to be deterred.  And so we sat there… in the back of the dark van, bumping along the dirt road, and prayed one of the most important prayers of his life together.  From the moment we said “Amen” his little face shone with excitement and pride.  Praise you, Father!

Its these moments that I’m completely overwhelmed and awed that God has allowed me the privilege of bringing these little ones to His feet and allowing them to make that decision for themselves.  It’s a moment that defies words and one that I’ve prayed for from the moment I saw those 2 pink lines. 

Welcome to the Family of God, Hudson Jonathan!  Your daddy and I are so very proud of your decision to follow Jesus Christ.  We pray that we’ll guide you and example for you a Christ-loving life until the day you can claim your faith as your own.  You, my son, are an amazing little boy, and we know He has big plans for you.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Ashley
AUTHOR
6:53 AM delete

Such a sweet, sweet story!! I am so excited for him! : )

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:08 AM delete

What a special moment! I can just picture his big grin after praying, love that little man

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
8:14 AM delete

So exciting! Yay Hudson!

Reply
avatar
1:33 PM delete

I just found your blog through twitter...and what a great post to start on! Can't wait to read more.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:19 PM delete

I'm so glad I got to hear the story! I'm so happy for Hudson and proud of him too.

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
11:57 AM delete

Sooooooo wonderful!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Reply
avatar
Michelle
AUTHOR
4:57 PM delete

Made me tear up! So wonderful!

Reply
avatar