Family Fingers Are Crossed*

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10 Comments A+ a-

*alternately titled “Why I’m Certain I’m Losing My Mind… And What I Intend to do About It” (Obviously that was a run-on sentence and way too long to put in the title field. Ha!)

And completely random fact for y’all, this is post #1,201. Yikes.  That’s a lot of posting in almost six years, but I digress.

My mom’s been on my case lately. A lot. It turns out that my laid-back, go-with-the-flow attitude isn’t working for me as it once did.  My lack of organization has gotten me in some trouble.

Case in Point #1: On our way to meet some friends for dinner, it was discovered that I’d left the debit card at home. We had to turn around, go home, pick up the debit card, before heading back on our way.  We were about 15 minutes late.

Case in Point #2: A couple of weekends ago, we came down from the family cabin for our pastor’s retirement reception. We came down early with the intent to get dinner beforehand. But I’d left the debit card at the cabin. Yeah. My parents bailed us out with dinner.

Case in Point #3: We made plans with friends for dinner, only I thought we’d agreed that we’d text each other during the week to confirm. My friend understood it that we’d already agreed to dinner. Good thing we connected before they showed up and we weren’t there.

There have been lost keys, forgotten shoes, missed parties, unpaid bills, etc. Both Jon and Mom have taken to picking up after me, double-checking packed suitcases, and overall, babysitting me. Its awesome. Mom and I discussed many ways that I could start getting organized, and I realized that I could no longer afford to NOT write things down.

And that’s where Erin Condren comes in…

I’d been on the lookout for a day planner that was fun, colorful, easy to use, and most importantly, I wanted it to be personalized. I checked out the MomAgenda and while I’d been eyeing their products for years, I just wasn’t feeling it. 

Enter Twitter and Erin at Blue Eyed Bride.

I read her post on her Home Organization Binder, and while I thought it a wonderful idea, its just too big of a task for this Mama.  But I did happen to notice the little link to her day planner of choice and I clicked on it.  I fell instantly in love.

Soon Twitter was all abuzz about the new planners, everyone checking it out, and mentioning their favorite patterns.  And normally I avoid all things popular and trendy.  (You can read about my weird aversion here.) But it was too late, the colors, the fonts, the patterns had already drawn me in.  And when Plum District happened to be selling vouchers to Erin Condren at half-price, that’s when the life planners went viral. I grabbed a voucher and got the planner at a steal!

I won’t bore you with the drama that unfolded after a hacker erased her orders, nor will I tell you about my stalking the FedEx shipping site to see when I could expect my new best friend. But I will tell you that it finally arrived today.

Its beautiful…

2011-08-15 23.29.222011-08-15 23.29.43One must have beautiful pens to go with a pretty new planner…

2011-08-15 23.34.07I have already entered birthdays under the Special Dates section. Note to family. Let’s avoid any more March birthdays, mmm… kay?

2011-08-15 23.43.262011-08-15 23.44.552011-08-15 23.45.36I’m loving the tabs, the pocket folder to keep track of important paperwork, and the zippered pouch that stores my pretty pens and the extra goodies Erin Condren tucked away. All so pretty.

2011-08-15 23.53.12Oh look… I was even able to use one of the included Wedding stickers to mark a special date. Its approaching fast, Alli and Brian!

So essentially, all of my family has their fingers crossed that this planner will actually do its job and help me get organized.  But no one is more hopeful than I because its truly exhausting work being disorganized all the time.  Its time to give organization a try.

PS If you want to see some other pretty life planners, head over to Meredith’s site for other links.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:47 AM delete

Ok, I'm not going to lie. I finally see what all the big fuss is about with Erin Condren. You may have talked me into looking at them and seeing if I would use them. =)
P.S. You did a much better job of covering up your last name this time

Reply
avatar
8:55 AM delete

If I ever quit my job, I want a planner like this. We have to keep online calendars at work, so I just put my personal stuff on there, too. Love these though!

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
9:00 AM delete

I found this great wall hanging organizer from 31. Pete thinks it will stop the piles of paper i leave everywhere. We'll see. Good luck with the planner, I hope it works for you.

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
9:51 AM delete

It's soo cute!!! And I saw the last name on twitter and ensuing convo with sis (which was hilarious) but I'll keep it our little secret, shhhh

Reply
avatar
Ali Thompson
AUTHOR
10:27 AM delete

Looks fun, hope it works for you! If you want to make your planning more flexible, I use little sticky note tabs for my to-do items. Color-coded by category. Then I stick them to the day I intend to do them. If I need to move things around - no problem - and no scribbling.

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
12:54 PM delete

I LOVE your planner!!!! I'm also SO glad you got it, mine should be here today :)

Reply
avatar
Emily
AUTHOR
6:15 PM delete

How fun! That's the one I picked out too. Now I can't wait for it to get here!

Reply
avatar
4:10 PM delete

oh my, I need one of these!!

Where did you get your pens? :)

Reply
avatar
4:12 PM delete

PS. Did you order the 2012 or the 2011 planner?

Reply
avatar
10:39 AM delete

What kind of pens did you choose and where did you get them? I'm anxiously awaiting my planner and curious as to which are the best pens to use.

Reply
avatar