A Numbered List…

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4 Comments A+ a-

…because I’m truly incapable of putting together a coherent post at the moment.

  1. I’m in a blogging slump.  But I’ve been blogging long enough to know that a) blogging comes in waves, its usually feast or famine and b) summer is never a good time for blogging.  Few people are reading, few people are posting.  Everyone is out in the sunshine.
  2. Hudson and Reagan have recently started an “a” vowel sound to the end of every word.  I have no idea how or why this started but it cracks me up every time I hear “Daddy-a” or “drink-a” or snack-a”.  I just don’t have the heart to correct them.
  3. I’m not sure what’s up with this Colorado weather but I’m not a fan.  Stop it.  Stop it, right now.  The hardest part is the humid!  Seriously, at 10:00pm the other night, it said 80% humidity.  I’m not sure when I moved to the midwest but I want my dry, Colorado heat back.
  4. We’ve had rain/thunderstorms every single day for a week.  Two nights ago Jon asked me to run down to the basement and close the windows.  (He couldn’t, he’s still gimping around on a swollen ankle.)  As I closed the window, I just happened to notice the baby rabbit that had fallen into our window well.  What ensued next was a hilarious game of hide ‘n seek as we tried to capture the baby rabbit after we let it inside.
  5. We put the baby rabbit in a container with some lettuce and left it in the garage overnight.  And while I’d love to see we had only the rabbit’s best interest at heart and didn’t want to release her into a stormy night, we also wanted to show the kids the next day.  Which they loved!  When we let her out, she scampered off across the street.  All’s well that ends well.
  6. …or so I thought…
  7. Later that day Devyn and Hudson found a baby rabbit in the bottom of our backyard pond.  Hudson fished it out of the pond and Devyn tried drying it off with a towel… Obviously to no avail as the poor baby rabbit had already died from drowning.  I was so upset; even more than the kids.  Jon just thought I was crazy.  I had to make him reassure me at least 10x that the rabbit that had drowned wasn’t the same rabbit we’d saved the night before.
  8. Then today a third and fourth baby rabbit were discovered in a pile of rocks in our backyard.  So apparently Mama Rabbit chose our backyard to birth her babies.  I think she and I need to have a chat about what is considered a safe place to have babies.  My choice would not include a backyard with window wells or ponds.
  9. Of course, now Jon is really concerned about his amateur garden and protecting it from the rabbits.  My main concern is protecting the rabbits from Jon.  Ha!
  10. And speaking of amateur gardens, I’m so impressed with Jon’s.  Its our first year to have a garden and I’m sure the success of it has been solely based on the fact that I haven’t touched it.  I tend to have a black thumb when it comes to all things with roots.  GardenCollage
  11. We’re just starting to enjoy the fruits of his labor.  There’s lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers.  Next year we’ll branch out with even more items, specifically more fruit.  We’re feeling pretty organic right now, and kind of loving it.
  12. This parenting stuff is hard.  Really, really hard.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to throw in the towel this week.  At one point I even turned to Jon and told him, “Well, six years is a good run.  Whose turn is it now?”  Sigh.  I realize its this stage of life, but I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. 
  13. And yet there are peeks and moments that make me feel like its all worth it.  Like when I watch Reagan playing peek-a-boo with Ashlynn, or watching Hudson and Devyn’s relationship really bloom into a strong friendship, or when I see Devyn help Reagan with a snack or drink.   We’re going to be ok, its just a good, hard, long race.
  14. We recently got away to Vail for a weekend with Jon’s brothers, his mom, and our sister-in-law, Holly.  It was wonderful!  And just what we needed!  His mom got a 2-bedroom suite, with the living room and kitchen between the 2 rooms.  You’d think we’d just granted the Littles every wish because they were so excited.  Uncles, Aunt Holly, Grami, and a swimming pool?!  All in one place?!  They were beside themselves.
  15. We took them swimming on Saturday; we put a life vest on Hudson and gave a floating ring to Reagan.  The life vest gave Hudson some independence, while Jon was able to hang on to Reagan and pull her around the pool.  At one point, Hudson swam over to Jon and grabbed his arm.  Reagan sent him a withering look (seriously, I’m surprised he didn’t turn into a pillar of salt) and said, “Get. Off. My Daddy!”
  16. This, my friends, is our Reagan. 
  17. In less than 2 weeks, I’ll be celebrating the 2-year birthday of Munchkin Land Designs.  I can’t believe its been two years since I started designing blogs as a side business.  I’m constantly amazed at the gift its been to our family.  And to me.  I feel so very blessed!
  18. We’ll be celebrating with door prizes, gift certificates, and a grand prize.  I hope you’ll hop over and join us.
  19. I keep adding and deleting lines, which is a surefire sign that its time to call it good.  I’m sorry for the long absence, hoping to get my blogging mojo back soon.

Until next time…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Ashley
AUTHOR
9:07 AM delete

You're such a sweet mama! I've told some of my friends to read your blog and I always say, "I just love her. She's such a sweet mom!" And I mean it! : ) You are so sweet about your kids and I can tell y'all have fun together. (Even though it IS stressful!)

Reply
avatar
Jillian
AUTHOR
12:31 PM delete

Poor bunny:(

Reply
avatar
6:35 PM delete

I'm totally like you - one minute I am on a blogging rampage, the next I dont feel like doing it. I just started blogging again - and I promised myself this time, that when I get in the mood I will blog, and when I don't want to - I won't.
I want to blog for me - for my memories and a sort of outlet to just talk.
I'm sorry about the bunny :(
And I am sorry that parenting has been so hard for you these days. I totally know the feeling!! *Hugs*

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:26 PM delete

I love this post. I can relate in so many ways too. Parenting is HARD work! And you're WAY ahead of me in number of children and how long you've been doing this. I've wanted to "give up" several times this week too. Hang in there.
Excited for your garden too.

Reply
avatar