Fireworks, Cookouts, and Parades

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6 Comments A+ a-

This 4th of July started off much like last year’s… rushing around the house trying to get everyone dressed and ready for our town’s parade.  Family friend, Drew, invited the kids to participate in the parade and the Littles jumped at the opportunity.  The difference being that this year, I got to go to the parade instead of having nursery duty at church. 

4thJulyCollage3The original plan had the 3 older ones riding in the truck with Daddy and Drew, waving and throwing candy to the crowd.  But as soon as we got there, Reagan changed her mind.  Then she changed her mind again when the truck was actually in front of us, mid-parade.  That’s when Jon’s dad ran Reagan to the truck and deposited her next to Devyn and Hudson.  Sigh.  Only my Reagan.

We live in Small Town, USA.  It’s a one stoplight town, population > 6,000.  We just received our first McDonald’s and the lines are 5-6 cars deep in each lane.  I never imagined myself as a Small Town Girl.  But its really growing on me… Especially when everyone turns out in red, white, and blue to watch a parade that consists mostly of fire engines, vintage cars, and tractors.  It just screams America and apple pie.

4thJulyCollage2The rest of the day was spent at my parents house, and while it was a smaller gathering than what we’re used to, it was so very nice.  We gorged on hot dogs, steaks, and burgers.  There were deviled eggs, homemade potato salad, pasta salad, fruit, veggies, and strawberries dipped in white chocolate and garnished with blue sugar… a la Courtney.  We attempted to recreate the delicious martinis we had in Washington, but those were epic fails.  Courtney finally managed to concoct something that was similar and drinkable.

4thJuly4I got misty-eyed watching my dad and Hudson play a game of catch.  I know Dad’s been waiting for that moment for 31+ years.  I adore seeing him as a Papa. 

Then my aunt showed up with a cooler full of water balloons (the woman is a genius when it comes to knowing how to entertain the Littles) and full-fledged water fight ensued.  No adult, no child was safe.  Once the water fun was over, we all gathered out front to watch the fireworks that my dad and father-in-law bought across the state border.  Fireworks from across the state border = more than likely illegal fireworks and lots of fun.  Whatever.

4thJulyCollage1Then it got dark and we got comfortable on my parents back deck to watch the firework display that the country club puts on every year.  There’s no need to travel to crowded parks when we can watch from the comfort of my parents house.  Its quite the display too! 

All in all, it was a wonderful, wonderful holiday.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Lauren
AUTHOR
11:21 AM delete

LOVED this!! What a sweet day with your family! Great pictures, girl!!! :)

Reply
avatar
11:41 AM delete

How sweet! It looks like y'all had a great day!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
1:08 PM delete

I love that shot of papa and Hudson playing ball together.
And those martinis... yuck!

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
1:38 PM delete

Such a bummer that the martinis didn't turn out well. At least Amy and I will always have a secret weapon to get you back to Washington :) Your 4th of July looks absolutely perfect!

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
2:25 PM delete

Looks like you guys had a GREAT 4th!!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:38 PM delete

What a sweet post. So many beautiful pictures of a beautiful family. :)
I got a little misty eyed about what you wrote about Dad and Hudson too. :)

Reply
avatar