Yes, I have everything under control. Why do you ask?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10 Comments A+ a-

This is my life.

Polaroid1It consists of herding 4 Littles through the grocery store, leaving as little damage as possible in our wake.  I consider it a successful trip if I make it through one grocery shopping trip without raising my voice more than five times.  Seriously.

Usually Reagan will be in the front part of the cart, Ashlynn in her sling or Beco carrier, and Devyn and Hudson walking beside me.  I even ran into a former coworker once with that very set-up and she looked at me with complete pity.  I’m here to tell you, I might look crazy and frazzled (and I probably am), but secretly I’m doing ok.  Probably even loving it.

Today I left the Beco at home, and we went to the new grocery store so OF COURSE we had to take the cart with the car in front.  And Devyn NEEDED to try out the mini-carts (genius idea, by the way!).  I was stopped numerous times by other patrons wanting to know if they were all mine, to tell me how busy I must be, to ask the kids if they were being good helpers, and was told that I have a beautiful family.  “Thank you,” I reply.  “I think so too!”

About 3/4 of the way through our shopping trip is when things started going downhill.  We were playing musical chairs from the car part of the cart, to sitting next to Ashlynn, to driving the mini-cart.  My eyes were wide as I whispered to the kids to stop running the cart into the backs of my legs, I jiggled the key chain to keep Ashlynn from full-fledged crying, and apparently I wasn’t paying to attention to Reagan in the car.

I smiled pleasantly as a group of about five Grocery Store Executives In Suits walked towards me.  It was my way of trying to fake as though I had everything under control.  A fa├žade that came to a crashing halt when one of the suited men whispered, “You know she’s eating an opened package of hot dogs, right?” and pointed to the 2-year-old girl. 

I gasped and moved to the front of cart, looked down into a pair of blue eyes round with innocence, just as she stuffed another bite of hot dog in her mouth.  I turned red.  Bright red.  And began to apologize profusely.  Just then one of the executives moved to stand next me, camera in hand, and bent down to encourage Reagan (demolished bag of hot dogs in hand) to smile for her close-up.

One thing I learned today… Its nearly impossible to discipline a child for bad behavior with five grown men in suits cooing and laughing at how adorable she is. 

Sigh.  I have no doubt this is just a taste of things to come with our Reagan.

Polaroid2

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
3:56 PM delete

This story makes me smile for so many reasons. That is SO Reagan and I LOVE it!
P.S. Do I need to keep asking? Post pictures of the kids every day, I'm missing out on their childhood!

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
3:57 PM delete

Can I just say your blog is blessing to me. You totally crack me up. Reagan is too funny!

Reply
avatar
Jessica
AUTHOR
3:57 PM delete

OMG, I'm laughing right now. But can totally relate to the chaos when shopping...and I only have 2!!! Your Reagan sound JUST like my Ashby! Sneaky little devils, aren't they??!!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
4:57 PM delete

I loved so much about this post!
I love your honesty-shopping with little ones is HARD, especially if you have more than one!
AND I LOVE that Reagan! She is too funny.

Reply
avatar
KM
AUTHOR
6:56 PM delete

How funny! I went shopping today with my one and only child and that was an experience. I went armed with chicken fingers and milk with a straw {he just mastered that skill} and it was the best trip we had but not easy at all. Congrats on making it out alive and with all your kids!

~KM

Reply
avatar
Jaime
AUTHOR
8:46 PM delete

Oh my goodness! You just gave me the best laugh I've had all day! That seriously tickled my funny bone!! My grocery shopping trips look JUST like that! Only last time we went, I found Noah eating a banana, not a hotdog :)

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
6:26 AM delete

I couldn't help by chuckle at this!!!!! Ha!!

Reply
avatar
Ashley E.
AUTHOR
8:59 AM delete

Oh my word!! Hilarious!!!

Reply
avatar
Lorena
AUTHOR
8:30 PM delete

That was so funny. Thanks for sharing. I have to remind Caleb that he is not allowed to shop when we are at the store. He likes to grab tomatoes (or anything else he can reach from the cart.)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
4:48 AM delete

Oh, my goodness!!! That's my trip too! I feel for you, girl, and your little hot-dog-eating sweetie is too precious for words... LOL

Reply
avatar