Putting It Out There

Sunday, June 05, 2011 6 Comments A+ a-

A couple of weeks ago our pastor gave a sermon on whether or not we were being obedient to God's calling on our life. As often is the case with babies, Ashlynn was particularly fussy this Sunday morning, and I was relegated to the area outside the sanctuary. My attention ping-ponged between Pastor Jim's words and entertaining Ashlynn. But let me tell you, the words and message that I was able to grasp were a sucker-punch to my gut.

I'm fairly certain I know what God's calling on my life is and I also know that fear keeps me from obeying it. Fear of failing, fear of rejection, fear of being wrong. And its this fear that keeps me from even trying.

I've been sitting on this sermon for weeks. The words rolling around and around in my head as I grappled with myself and with God. And I feel it might be time to take some baby steps with what I feel is God's calling on my life.

Tomorrow I'm going to start posting sections of a book I started writing a couple of years ago. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons. One, I'd love your feedback on my writing. Seriously. I need it. I'm not intending to publish this story, but I think the experience will be good for me. And two, I need accountability. I can't tell you how many books and stories I've started, never to finish. Putting this out on the world wide web is going to give me the motivation I need to finish it.

Truth be told, I'm a little sick to my stomach as I get ready to share this part of my life. Its probably one of the most vulnerable parts of me and this will be the biggest audience to date I've shared my writing with. Up until now, only family and trusted friends have read my stuff. So I ask you to be kind. Please be honest, but kind as you do so.

*Gulp* Here goes nothing...

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
8:56 PM delete

I have been waiting for more chapters from your book. I was really into it, so I'm excited!

Reply
avatar
9:50 PM delete

Ahhh-- the Lord is pressing in! And with obedience comes a rush of peace! Eager to read...

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
10:22 PM delete

Proud of you...and I'm looking forward to it!!

Reply
avatar
Beth
AUTHOR
7:37 AM delete

I am just getting around to reading blogs from this whole weekend. I haven't read "the" post yet, but I want you to know how excited and nervous I am for you. I'm a writer and I completely understand.
Sending so much love and confidence your way!

Reply
avatar
9:52 AM delete

I work for a Christian based book publisher in Mustang, OK- you should consider us when you are finished with your book! tatepublishing.com

Traci Jones
Marketing Representative
888-361-9473

Reply
avatar
Ashlyn Morton
AUTHOR
11:11 PM delete

I am sitting here contemplating posting my own writing, short stories, random scenes, etc etc. when I came across this post so randomly. I completely understand all of your fears but also knowing your calling from God. I stand in the same place but am such a coward when it comes to what others will say or how they will view me or my writing. I think your writing is great by the way. Thank you for the inspiration. God has just used you.

Reply
avatar