A New Perspective

Monday, June 13, 2011 7 Comments A+ a-

Several weeks ago Jon went to the store to buy some milk and cereal because we’d run out.  He came home with a pained look on his face, and sat down on the couch with a heavy sigh.  The grocery bags at his feet.  I was about to berate him for not taking the bags into the kitchen, but the look on his face stopped me.  It was the look of a man who’d been given a wake-up call.  And before I could ask him if everything was ok, he proceeded to tell me about his shopping trip.

He’d gone in, put the things we needed into the cart, even adding a few items we didn’t need.  He made his way to the front and got into a checkout line behind one other woman.  As he loaded the conveyer belt with our groceries, he couldn’t help but notice the few items the woman had.  A 1/2 gallon of milk, some bread, some other very basic items.  As the checker rang up her groceries, the woman was counting out change.  It soon became apparent to Jon that the woman was using every last penny to pay for the groceries.  He even overheard the woman tell the cashier how bad she felt about raiding her children’s piggy banks that morning.

The total came up on the display and the woman’s face fell.  It was more than what she had with her, and as she started making the decision about which items to take out of the bag, Jon leaned forward and gave her the rest of what she needed.  She thanked him profusely, telling him that it would come back around, that he’d be blessed for that small gesture.  She even went so far as to apologize for the circumstances that got her into this situation.  None of which Jon wanted to hear, even telling her none of it mattered to him.  She thanked him once more and out the door she went.

After he finished his story, he reached over and gave me a huge hug.  “Jenn,” he said, “I forget how rich we really are…”

I don’t tell you this story to toot Jon’s horn or brag about something Jon did, because quite simply I have no doubt that many of us would have done the same in that situation.  I share it because I have not stopped thinking about this story since it happened. 

I can’t tell you how many times I resent the fact that our bank account balance isn’t higher… Or how anxious I get every time a new doctor’s bill shows up in our mailbox…  Or how much easier our lives would be if we could just buy x, y, or z.  There was one day in particular where I’d paid a hefty medical bill that resulted in draining most of our savings account.  The anxiety washed over me and I can’t begin to describe the feelings of defeat that I felt.  But then Jon’s story came to mind and in an instant a peace came over me. 

I could continue focusing on the things we didn’t have and I will always end up feeling like I can’t measure up.  Or I could focus on the things we have been blessed with and feel like one of the richest women in the world.  And you know what?  I am.  We have full cupboards and fridge, we have a roof over our heads and place to lay our heads at night, we have running water and heat and room to run.  We are so very rich.

Its amazing what a difference in perspective can do for the soul.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
12:48 PM delete

so true! One of our church plant pastors came and spoke one time about how rich we in fact are. Did you know that someone in the "lower class" of the US is richer than 90% of the total world population?! How's that for a dose of perspective! And love Jon's heart:).

Reply
avatar
Kelly Marie
AUTHOR
3:02 PM delete

Stories like this always make me happy. Obviously, what your hubby did was so generous & I love when people are so kind to others.

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
3:52 PM delete

Great post! Its so easy to get caught up in the "don't have, want more" mentality & this was a reality check. :] Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
The Pink Owl
AUTHOR
8:25 PM delete

I love this post! It's reminders like these that help me remember to be so very thankful for all the blessings I have! I needed to read this today.

Reply
avatar
Momof4Girls
AUTHOR
9:59 PM delete

Jenn, I LOVE this post! Not only for what Jon did for the woman, but because his experience truly IS a wake up call for all of us! What a blessing Jon was to that woman that day, just as God blesses us daily! How we tend to forget to be thankful, especially in this culture of ours....
Thank you for sharing, honey.
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:14 PM delete

Beautiful post Jenn. It really does put things in perspective.
Even though you weren't trying to toot Jon's horn, I have to say I am very proud to be his sister-in-law. He really has a heart for people in need-any need.

Reply
avatar
5:33 PM delete

I needed to read this. Thanks for posting.

Reply
avatar