I am hers…

Sunday, May 08, 2011 3 Comments A+ a-

mothers-day-clipart-4I remember the tubes, brushes, and palettes of color that littered my mom’s vanity.  I remember sitting on the toilet or counter as I watched her expertly dab, swipe, and blend herself from beautiful to glamorous.  As I sat there, I imagined myself one day putting make-up and feeling as beautiful as Mom looked.  And I giggled in delight every time Mom brushed some color across my own cheek.

Today my own girls sit in the same way as I put my makeup on… One on the bathroom counter, the other on the toilet.  They giggle as they ask questions about what each tube, bottle, and brush does.  Reagan’s eyes light up when I had her a sponge applicator and allow her to swipe color across my eyelid.  Devyn giggles as I dab her lips with some lipstick.  We talk about how this is just for fun, Devyn asks how old she she has to be to wear makeup, and they weigh in one what colors look best. 

I teared up this morning, and a lump clogged my throat.  I’ve come full circle.  From the days of watching my mom put her make-up on to now being that mom to my own girls.  I’m blessed that I have such an amazing role model as I navigate these murky waters of motherhood.  So much of who I am as a wife and mother is because of her… the woman who gave me life, who disciplined and encouraged me, who led by example, who is every bit as lovely on the inside as she is on the outside.  I am blessed to be hers.

And I now understand why she chokes up every time she pulls out our old Mother’s Day cards, letters, and handmade cards.  I’m starting my own collection, and there is nothing that means more than reading “I love you, Mama” written in your child’s handwriting.  Its an amazing gift, one that will lovingly be treasured in the years and decades to come!

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone, from the 1st time moms to the seasoned moms.  My heart and prayers to those missing their mothers and whose arms remain empty.  May peace and hope be yours today.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Timmarie
AUTHOR
2:22 PM delete

Your mom rocks!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:13 PM delete

LOVED this! Our mom does rock. Now you are one awesome mama too. :)

Reply
avatar
9:59 AM delete

This is a very sweet post, Jenn! I got a little teary-eyed myself! The other day, McKayla sat on the toilet and watched as I put on my makeup and said, "I love to watch you put on your makeup."

:)

Reply
avatar