Coming Out the Other Side

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 10 Comments A+ a-

EasterDevyn1In preparation of this post, I read through the posts regarding Devyn’s speech therapy from beginning to end.  Each emotion, each thought, each fear coursed through my body as if I was living each moment all over again.  Its an experience that no parent wants to have, to know their child is lacking and having experts point it out to them.  Denial is a land that I’m quite familiar with…

Instead of rehashing the past and living in those moments, I’m proud and excited to say that we’ve come out on the other end victorious and triumphant.  Our Devyn Paige graduated from speech therapy!

About a month ago, her speech therapist, Miss Jennifer, stopped me at pick-up and told me that she was going be evaluating and testing Devyn on the progress she’s made.  She was confident that Devyn was doing well and wanted to meet with us to discuss the results.  We arranged the date and time, and I put it to the back of my mind.

During this year, Devyn Paige blossomed even more than last year.  She talks a mile a minute, wanting to rehash each moment of her day.  She shares her every thought and feeling with us.  In this year, I have watched her grow into herself.  The girl who hid behind my legs, now runs to her classroom with confidence.  It’s a beautiful sight.

Her speech therapist sent the report home the night before our meeting so we could review it and write down any questions we might have.  When she hopped in the van, the grin on Devyn’s face said it all.  “I’m graduating from speech,” she announced, triumph coloring every word.  It was beautiful to bask in the knowledge that our girl had worked hard for three years to be able to say those words.

The meeting went great!  Both teacher and the therapist reiterated how much Devyn’s grown this year… what a delight she is to have in class… how hard she works… how kind, compassionate, and helpful she is… I ate it up.  She is all those things, and more. 

We discussed some of the sound issues she’s still having but guess what?  They’re all age-appropriate sound issues, the same sound issues most other kids her age are having.  After 3+ years of hard work, determination, and tenacity, our Devyn Paige tested out as average!  I can’t begin to describe the feelings and tears that threatening to fall as I type out those words.

The most beautiful words a mother, who wondered and worried, could ever hear… She tested out as average.

Yesterday the speech therapist and the other students had an ice cream party for her last day.  At her request, they had cookie dough ice cream.  (She’s her daddy’s girl for sure.)  Today we were talking about next Monday when a look of awe crossed her face.  “Mama,” she breathed.  “I don’t have speech next Monday.”  No, baby girl, you sure don’t. 

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:27 AM delete

This made me tear up. I'm SO proud of her and how hard she has worked the last few years!

Reply
avatar
7:51 AM delete

That's so wonderful!!! My best friend's little boy is autistic and meets with a speech therapist on a regular basis. They are wonderful, special people. So proud of your little one!!! Happy day!

Reply
avatar
Jessica
AUTHOR
8:24 AM delete

Congratulations, Devyn! You should be so proud of yourself.

Jenn, love the picture you posted!

Reply
avatar
9:23 AM delete

I got teary eyed during this post! So glad that your girl got the news she wanted! She is beautiful and sounds like such a sweet girl. With every post you write about her, I know that she and McKayla would be good friends. :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:05 AM delete

I am so proud of that precious girl!! Big hugs and kisses from Grammie!

Reply
avatar
Jenna
AUTHOR
3:07 PM delete

Wonderful news!! Congrats Devyn!

Reply
avatar
Marianne
AUTHOR
3:21 PM delete

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to Devyn, and to the whole family!!:) Love you guys!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:02 PM delete

OH my....where have three years gone??! I remember how concerned you were when you heard she needed speech therapy years ago. Now look....our little Devyn has graduated!! Hard work and triumph!! We are SOOO proud of her!! We love you, Devyn Paige!
Nana and Papa

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

She is beautiful.
And so is your mother's heart.

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
8:01 AM delete

This is SO awesome and wonderful!!!!!!

Reply
avatar