A Big Day in History

Monday, May 02, 2011 0 Comments A+ a-

Jon was channel surfing when I got a call from Courtney.  “Did you hear?  Did you hear?” she nearly screamed into the phone.  Obviously not since I did not understand the urgency in her voice.  In that moment we learned that Osama bin Laden had been killed.  We turned our attention to the major networks and waited with the rest of America for the President’s speech.  Jon turned to Facebook to pass the time and I turned to Twitter.  (Funny stuff on the Twitter.)

I expected the politics.  As surely as I breathe, whatever the issue, it will be become political.  So that didn’t surprise me, nor faze me.  I tend to skip past those posts/tweets, even if they support what I believe because I just can’t handle how divisive it all can be. 

But then something even more disturbing started showing up in my feeds and all I’m going to say is this…  No matter the stance, I’m fairly certain throwing scriptures around like missile shots to defend your opinions is NOT how they were intended to be used.  There are scriptures defending the rejoicing of evil being stopped, there are scriptures telling us not to delight in the demise of man.  Scriptures are being thrown down like gauntlets and I just want to say, Stop it!  Stop IT!  Don’t bring scriptures into this.  None of us can know God’s heart and thoughts on this particular situation.  We can guess and we can bring scriptures to defend our opinions but none of us are God.  And it certainly doesn’t help anyone’s cause of being Christ to the world to see us bickering among ourselves. 

Moving on…

Three presidents have been on the hunt for this man.  It started with Bill Clinton, moved up in urgency under George Bush, and brought to completion under Barack Obama.  3,000+ men and women have died at the hands of Osama bin Laden.  His death won’t bring loved ones back  It won’t erase the memories of that horrific day on 9/11.  It won’t end the War on Terror.  But I do pray that this terrorist’s death brings closure to the victims left behind.  As a country, we promised them we wouldn’t stop until he was dead.  And on May 1, 2011, we were finally able to deliver on that promise.

I’m not writing this as a Democrat or Republican.  I’m not writing this as war-monger or a pacifist.  I’m writing this as an American who is so very proud of the men and women who risk their lives every single day to keep my world safer.  I’m writing this to take my hat off to the Navy SEALs who went into the very belly of the beast and rid the world of a very evil man.  I thank you!

* I’m turning comments off today.  I don’t want this to turn into a debate of any kind.  This is my blog, these are my thoughts, and this post is simply to remember this point in time.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.