9 Revelations for 9 Years

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12 Comments A+ a-

Nine years ago I married my best friend.  Today marks the sixth anniversary we’ve celebrated since I started blogging in 2005.  You can read about our 4th anniversary here.  On our 5th anniversary, I posted pictures from our wedding, along with the vows we promised each other.  Our 6th anniversary included a sick child.  On our 7th anniversary, I wrote down my 7 favorite memories of our relationship.  And on our 8th anniversary I posted the slideshow we used in our wedding.

It feels like I’ve covered it all, and really have nothing new to share on this day.  So instead I’d thought I’d write nine things I’ve learned since saying “I do” on that day.

  1. Marriage is never 50-50, someone is always having to give more than the other.  There have been times I’ve given 65% and times I’ve done as little as 15%.  Trust me, its all a wash in the end.
  2. After 9 years of marriage, I still refuse to pass gas in front of him.  I avoid it at all costs.  (And bear in mind, this man has seen me give birth.  Four times.)
  3. I still enjoy a good make-out session.  Especially when he sneaks one in during the most unexpected times like, making dinner, or loading the dishwasher, or when we pass each other in the hallway.  We gross our children out.
  4. Socks are going to be the death of us.  Every single day, without fail, Jon takes off his socks and tosses them on the living room floor.  Drives me nuts.  And it drives him crazy when socks don’t get folded.  He would rather buy new socks than match clean ones.  Seriously.
  5. While I once found his smile and eyes sexy (and still do), they’ve been replaced by watching him with the Littles.  Wrestling matches, book reading, giggle monsters, and bed time prayers… now THAT is sexy.
  6. I never thought roses could be trumped as the most romantic gesture.  But there’s a been a few times that Jon has drawn a bubble bath for me, lit some candles, and watched the Littles while I soak in the tub.  I now prefer that over roses any day.
  7. I love that our marriage has reached a point that we can communicate in silence.  I can’t count how many times we’ve finished each other’s sentences and thoughts.  Its awesome how I can start saying something and Jon will finish it.
  8. We have totally switched sleeping habits.  When we first married, I was the deep sleeper and it was Jon who woke at the slightest sound.  Now that we have children, he can sleep through anything and I’m the one who wakes easily.  Not too happy about this development.
  9. This past weekend, Kelsey described Bryant as her “person” and it made me smile because I totally got it.  Jon is my person.  He is my best friend, the one who “gets” me, the one who centers me, the one who has my back.

And I certainly never imagined that nine years later I’d be sitting in a dark theater with our six-year-old on my left, holding hands with our 4-year-old on my right, and our 2-year-old and 6-month-old both sharing my lap while we watched Kung Fu Panda 2.  While it wasn’t the brightest decision I’ve ever made (thank goodness for mostly empty theaters), I was in awe of how much our life has changed in those nine years. 

Happy Anniversary, Babe!  Even though today didn’t turn out like we had hoped and our celebration has been postponed, I am so incredibly thankful to have you beside me on this journey.  I’m so thankful that you’re my person.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
4:32 AM delete

I love this post. Happy Anniversary! I've been married almost two years and I'm still learning every day...

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
5:49 AM delete

Love this post. Happy Anniversary Jenn!
I love makeout sessions too. Looks like guys love to stop us while we are actually in the kitchen or something to kiss on us! Mine does the same thing.

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
7:57 AM delete

Oh I love this, Jenn! I can't wait to read more of your reflections on marriage another 9 years from now :)

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
8:17 AM delete

LOVE this!!!!!!!! Happy anniversary!!!!!!! :)

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
9:18 AM delete

I agree with you on soooo much! After 2 years I wont pass gas in front of Chad but he has no problem doing it in front of me ....guys! Happy Anniversary!

Reply
avatar
10:24 AM delete

Happy Anniversary Jenn! This is an amazing post and you are so right about a lot of things....marriage isn't 50/50, passing gas...etc. It is funny how no matter how comfortable you are with someone you still have to be a lady! :) Going on 6 years and I wouldn't dare! haha.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
5:51 PM delete

I loved this post Jenn. I can't believe it's already been 9 years since your wedding day. Feels like it was yesterday and yet I can't remember life WITHOUT you guys being married. Hopefully you will get to celebrate soon!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
3:57 PM delete

Love this post!

I am so glad you guys have each other to journey this life together.
Love you guys.

Reply
avatar
8:39 PM delete

This is such a sweet post!!

And the sock thing? Exact same way in our house. Makes me crazy.

Glad y'all had a great anniversary!!

Reply
avatar
Jessica
AUTHOR
3:52 PM delete

Love this post! Happy Anniversary!

Reply
avatar
Momof4Girls
AUTHOR
3:57 PM delete

Happy 9th Anniversary honey!! I LOVED this post!! So much has happened in just 9 years! Praying for God's continued blessings and that He will be the center of it all!!
We love you,
Mom and Dad

Reply
avatar
8:37 AM delete

A Lovely and Real "revealing!" Thank you for honoring marriage!

Reply
avatar