Surprise!

Friday, April 01, 2011 8 Comments A+ a-

I have always wanted to throw Jon a surprise birthday party.  Always.  It was just a matter of waiting for the right time.  Well, that time came last week.  He turned the big 3-0 this year (and yes, for those keeping track, I am 18 months older than my hubby) and I convinced him that we needed to do a big party.  Plan set in motion…

I sent out 2 different invitations, one that included Jon on the invite list and the 2nd to everyone else BUT Jon.  However, this is where it got sticky.  Some people received the fake invitation, some received the real invitation, some received nothing at all, and some received both but deleted one of them.  Huge fiasco.  I sent out an email trying to clarify everything but I’m not sure that got to everyone either.

The plan called for the “fake” party to take place on a Saturday, his actual birthday.  Playing cool, I asked Jon if he’d like to take me on a date the Friday night before.  He jumped at the idea, further proof we rarely have date nights.  When we took the kids to my parents house to be “babysat”, everyone would be waiting to celebrate his birthday.  I’d even had Devyn playing and having dinner with friends from school, because there is no way we’d have a party without Devyn.

** Side note.  Devyn knew about the surprise party the whole time and managed to keep it a secret!  I was thoroughly impressed.

While I was waiting for Jon to hurry up and get ready for our “date”, my stomach was in knots.  I don’t think I’ve ever been so nervous.  We were finally ready to go and while Jon thought I was on Twitter, I sent a text to Mom and the sisters that we were on our way. 

If I was nervous at home, I was a wreck by the time we pulled into my parents driveway.  And of all nights, Jon decided to take his sweet time getting Reagan and Hudson out of the car.  I sat there impatiently, wondering how long I could drag getting Ashlynn out of the car without drawing Jon’s suspicion.  But there was no way I was walking into that house first.

I was right behind him when he opened the door to a house full of people shouting, “Surprise!”  I laughed as he turned bright red and was completely speechless.  And when he turned around in embarrassment, “Well, I guess I’d better go turn off the car” I knew I’d accomplished what I’d set out to do.  He was shocked!

We spent the evening visiting with family and friends, eating bbq pulled pork and beef sandwiches, laughing at all the ways Jon should’ve caught on to the surprise party, and ate his fishing birthday cake.  All in all, I’d say it was a huge success.  And thanks to all the family and friends who were able to come and celebrate with us. 

Happy Birthday, Babe!  I’m so glad we were able to surprise and celebrate you and the wonderful man that you are!  (Ignore the blurry 1st picture.  Courtney warned me she was horrible at taking that kind of picture.  She was right.  Love you, Court!)

BirthdayCollage1BirthdayCollage2BirthdayCollage3BirthdayCollage4

Side note:  Munchkin Land Designs has a brand-new look.  I’m also giving away an Elite Blog Design.  Go check it out!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Gracie Rae
AUTHOR
3:56 PM delete

Happy Birthday, Jon! So glad you were able to pull off the surprise...and that Devyn was able to keep a secret! Good for her!

Reply
avatar
5:50 PM delete

Good job, Devyn! McKayla could NOT have done that!

What a nice party :)

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
8:31 PM delete

You are such an awesome wife and mom!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:22 PM delete

That was such a fun night! Happy Birthday Jon.

Reply
avatar
Kerbi
AUTHOR
10:23 AM delete

I agree, you are a sweet wife and mom! So happy everyone was able to keep it a surprise the whole time!

Reply
avatar
Ashley E.
AUTHOR
8:11 PM delete

Way to go!!!! That party looked like so much fun!

Reply
avatar
9:31 PM delete

yay, great job! So sweet, what a great surprise! I threw a surprise party for my Hubby's 30th last year, haha :) So much fun :) Happy b-day to your Hubby!

Reply
avatar
Jenny
AUTHOR
12:02 PM delete

Great Job! He looks so surprised!!!

Reply
avatar