It’ll Be Worth It

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10 Comments A+ a-

Yesterday was a day.  The kind that made me want to scream, tear my hair out, and trade my children in for monkeys, because surely they’d be easier to handle.  Hudson and Reagan decided that they both needed to assert their independence and refused to wear anything I picked out, eat anything I made, or just plain get along. 

Then I decided to tempt fate even more and make a trip to the grocery store.  I knew it was a mistake before we even stepped foot in the store, but we were out of everything and I really had no choice.  However, not even a 1/3 through my grocery list, it was apparent that I wasn’t going to get to finish.  We left promptly after the umpteenth tantrum, the tantrum that continued through the checkout line and to the car.  Super Mom of The Year, for sure.

This parenting thing is hard word, really hard work.  Shaping these little people into Christ following, God fearing, loving, compassionate, and merciful human beings is hard work.  Its hard to see the loving and compassionate in the midst of the disobedient and strong willed.  I won’t even add the part about having four children under the age of six, because well, parenting is hard work regardless of the number of children you have.

But I’m trying to remember that this a calling and a job like none other.  It is both an honor and privilege to shepherd these little hearts.  I know plenty of women that would give anything to have hard days if it meant they got to be mothers.  It is those friends that help to remind me that I’m truly blessed. 

Some day I’m going to miss these days, the chaos of four Littles.  Of asking older siblings to leave the baby alone and demanding love for siblings in the midst of teasing.  Of wild moods and couch pillows in disarray.  Of sleepless nights and messy rooms.  Of carefree dance parties and unintelligible toddler speak.  Some day my house will be far too quiet and I’ll remember these days, wondering if I actually soaked them in as much as I could have.

When I’m tired of having another conversation with Hudson regarding his toiletry habits (Son, your bedroom floor is NOT an appropriate place to pee)… When I’m tired of hearing Reagan say “No!” for the 30th time that day…  When I want nothing more than a glass of wine to calm frayed nerves and temper…  I want to remember this…

“I’m not telling you it is going to be easy, I’m telling you its going to be worth it.” Art Williams

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Whitney
AUTHOR
9:57 AM delete

What a beautiful post, sweet friend. I just love your heart. You are an amazing woman, mother, and friend.

Reply
avatar
Ashley E.
AUTHOR
12:35 PM delete

What a great post. You are such a great mom!

Reply
avatar
Gracie Rae
AUTHOR
1:23 PM delete

What a wonderful post. You really have a way with words. Many times I have thought these sames things (as a SAHM), but I could never write them as beautiful as you do.

Reply
avatar
Tabaitha Kaye
AUTHOR
7:16 PM delete

So true! I had a couple of those days last week. Praying tomorrow is better for you and you get some rest tonight.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:35 PM delete

I loved this and I love how you keep it real. It IS hard work but I also love how you keep it in perspective. Some day we will miss these tough times and see them as fond memories. Love you.

Reply
avatar
4:39 AM delete

Sweet post, Jenn! Although I don't understand why he can't just "go" in the bedroom??? Ha! :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:19 AM delete

What an honest, but true post, honey. The years go MUCH faster than you would ever dream! Yes, there are hard days, but then you turn around, and the home IS empty and your kids are on their dreams of their own....keep praying for God to guide you as you guide them...
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
2:51 PM delete

I have so been there. I try my best to remind myself that those (hard) moments don't last forever. Keep your chin up!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
6:26 PM delete

Can I steal that quote? It is pretty powerful! You do a great job with your babies, mama!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
9:14 AM delete

Thank you for being honest while still being compassionate for your children. I'm one of those that would give anything to go through such hard times. And I come across so many people who do nothing but complain about their children. They don't honor the place God put them in. They don't honor and cherish the children they've been entrusted with. And they certainly don't care about how women with empty arms feel. Thank you for caring about me when you wrote that....even if you didn't know it at the time.

Reply
avatar