Attachment

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6 Comments A+ a-

One of the hardest things I learned about being a working mom, is that my children will bypass the separation anxiety phase.  Don’t get me wrong, we had moments of crying and reaching for me once in a while.  But overall, they looked forward to their time with Nana and Auntie Alli.

I’ve talked about the bonds that Devyn and Hudson have with individual aunt, and I’d be lying if I said that the times my children reached for their aunt, instead of me, didn’t sting.  It stung, just a little.  But enough to enforce my dislike of having to work outside the home. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love that my children are so close to my mom and sisters.  If I had to work, then I’m forever grateful that my family was willing to step in the gap.  But there were numerous times that I wished to be first choice, to be second to none.  And it appears my wish has come true.

Ashlynn has formed a deep attachment to me, and I can’t help but be a little giddy at this new development.  Her eyes follow my moves around the room, she stares warily into new faces, she’s content to be as long as I’m in plain sight. 

The moment I leave the room, or her sight, her face starts to pout and she begins to whimper.  If I stay gone, the whimper escalates into full blown sobs, calmed only by being in my arms again.  Yesterday, I tried to leave Ashlynn with my mom while I picked Devyn up from school.  It was soon apparent that she wasn’t going to be left behind, and was fine as long as she could hear my voice.

I feel for Jon.  It’s the first time he hasn’t been able to calm or console a child of ours.  When the others were babies, it truly didn’t matter if it was Jon or I who held, comforted, or pacified them.  But the same is not true of Ashlynn, and the couple of times I’ve left her with him, it was only a matter of time before I received the call to get back home.  Now.  I can never tell who’s more relieved that Mama is home, Jon or Ashlynn.

I wonder if there will come a time that I’m completely overwhelmed or annoyed at constantly being needed.  I highly doubt it.  Its taken six years and four children to become the favored one.  And right now, I’m relishing each moment!

quote17

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Jessica
AUTHOR
4:15 PM delete

My youngest, Ashby, is just Ashlynn. She loves her mama! And it melts my heart. Kennedy, my oldest, has a special bond with her daddy & always preferred him (and still does). It always stung a bit...until my youngest came along. Now I'm in heaven. :)

My husband calls Ashby my 'BB'--Best Buddy. And I'm A-OK with that!:)

Reply
avatar
Jess
AUTHOR
9:23 PM delete

Livi is like this, except with both me and Matt (since he's home with her during the day). I'm usually frustrated with it because we can't really leave her with a babysitter, and when we're around other people, she rarely lets them hold her and can be a little clingy with us. Thanks for another perspective. :)

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
12:55 PM delete

This is SO sweet!!!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
6:03 AM delete

Don't you love those moments when all they want is you??!! Treasure it hon, it will go by soo fast!!
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar