Early Birthday Gift

Wednesday, March 02, 2011 7 Comments A+ a-

… and it’s a doozy!

Jon and I received a very, very nice tax return this year.  As a friend on Twitter pointed out to me, “With all those kids, you’re bound to make bank!”  And she was right.  We’re very fortunate! 

Well that nice tax refund landed in our bank on Friday and by mid-morning, I received a text from Jon asking if we could get a flat-screen TV.  My initial response?  Absolutely not!  No how, no way, ain’t gonna happen.  (Does anyone else get tired of saying no all the time too?)  I shared Jon’s text with Mom, expecting a smile, a shake of her head, and in complete agreement with me.  “Silly boy.”  Instead she paused, pursed her lips, looked me in the eye, and said, “Why not?”  I sat in shock, not quite sure how to respond, and wondering who this woman was sitting before me.

She went on to explain.  “Your husband works hard, Jenn.  He comes home to you every night, he’s a good husband, a good father, and I’m sure he gets a little tired of seeing his hard-earned money going to bills month after month.  Why not splurge on this for him?” 

Well, huh.  Now my wheels were turning.  I sent Jon a text back, asking if he’d still like a flat-screen, and his response made me fall back in my chair.  “Nah.  I was just kidding.  Its more important to me that you stay home with the kids.”  God was rocking my world all over again.  And while his response was noble, and I truly appreciated it, the seed had already been planted. 

And so we did something that is so unlike us.  We never, ever splurge on big-ticket items.  We’re usually so content with the status quo, and rarely give in to our materialist urges.  But since Jon turns 30 this month and in appreciation for him and his incredible work ethic, this is something that I’m glad to do for him. 

NewTV1

NewTV3

NewTV4

NewTV5

NewTV6

NewTV8

NewTV7

So there you have it.  Our big splurge of the decade.  And I must say, the goofy smile on Jon’s face was completely worth the small heart attack at the cash register.  Happy early Birthday, Babe!  We love you!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Dana
AUTHOR
8:10 AM delete

Your mom was wise in her comment, and I will take that to heart the next time my husband asks for something like that and my first response is, no way! Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
12:21 PM delete

LOVE IT! Thank you for posting pictures, I was wondering how you guys were enjoying it.
Jon is SO deserving of this gift, I'm glad that you guys were able to do this for yourselves.

Reply
avatar
Pamela M
AUTHOR
2:29 PM delete

Aww, I think it's great that you guys decided to do this! It will mean family movie nights on a bigger TV?! :o)

Reply
avatar
7:53 PM delete

Yay for your hubby (and you)! Big tvs can be fun for the wife, too! :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:14 PM delete

I agree with Dana. What a wise statement from Mom. Jon deserves it and I'll bet you're all enjoying it. :)

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
10:47 PM delete

This was our splurge of the decade too-- we even called it that! Enjoy!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:44 PM delete

Jenn, Thanks for sharing the pictures and the post!! His goofy grin is SOOO worth it!! See?? It's a win win! You blessed him on his birthday and he has the joy of a purchase hardly ever done!! I'm so glad it worked out! (He's probably still in shock!!) =)
Love you, Mom =)

Reply
avatar