My Safe Place

Monday, February 14, 2011 8 Comments A+ a-

He let me sleep in yesterday.  I barely heard him wake and shower, but I distinctly heard the click of our bedroom door as he shut the kids out and left me still in bed.  I could have argued, or felt guilty for laying in bed, but I chose to close my eyes and take advantage of it instead.

I woke an hour later and made my way into the living room.  I saw the messy kitchen out of the corner of my eye, there were piles of matchbox cars, wooden blocks, and kids laying haphazardly around the living room.  I groaned inwardly, not quite ready to tackle the pigsty that was my house.  And then I saw him.

He was lying on the couch, clad in a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt.  He looked scrumptious.  And like a much better option than cleaning.

I made my way over to him and nudged his leg with my knee; he looked up, smiled, and opened his arms.  I gladly fell into them and settled myself on his chest.  He wrapped his arms around me and squeezed tightly.  I sighed.  This was my safe place.

We’ve been together for 13+ years.  We’ve been through hard times and happy times, times when we can’t get enough of each other and times when we really don’t like each other very much.  But through it all, his arms have remained my safe place.

There’s a strength there, a strength that says no matter what life throws at us, he’ll shield me from it.  A strength that says he can and will carry us through this life.  A strength that we can all depend on.  A strength he has grown into and wears well.

I remember when we could lay like that for hours, watching tv, or napping.  But as we’ve added children, our times of laying together have changed.  First Reagan climbed on and nestled herself between our legs, then Devyn climbed on and laid on top of me.  Jon groaned beneath the weight, but never asked us to get up.  Instead he wrapped his arms around all of us, and squeezed tight until we laughingly asked him to stop.  And I realized something.

I’m now sharing my safe place with our girls.  I pray they’ll find safety and strength in their daddy’s arms until God brings them their own safe place in the form of their future husbands.  But in the mean time, I’m happy to share; they couldn’t find a better safe place if they tried.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
11:56 AM delete

Did not our God sculpt out the perfect safe place? It certainly seems so. His design is best. Blessings.

Reply
avatar
3:45 PM delete

I love this post! So sweet :)

Reply
avatar
Kerbi
AUTHOR
4:39 PM delete

So beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
5:36 PM delete

Wow, sharing your safe place! I'm just picturing them someday knowing what they want in their own "safe place" because of how they felt with Daddy. Beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:56 PM delete

Sweet post. :)

Reply
avatar
AndreaLeigh
AUTHOR
1:36 PM delete

such a sweet post! I don't often turn to my husband for comfort (well, into his arms) because that just isn't who I am. I have a hard time admitting when things are wrong. but when I do, the feeling is incredible.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
11:33 AM delete

What a beautiful post!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:34 PM delete

Jenn, what a special, beautiful post, honey!! =) It's the simple things in life, isn't it?? We forget to slow down and enjoy them...they cost no money. Just the reminder of how blessed we are. Thank you for sharing your heart today, honey.
I love you,
Mom

Reply
avatar