Mama Bear Emerges

Friday, February 04, 2011 11 Comments A+ a-

Between 3 and 4 weeks after Ashlynn was born, she developed a rash.  I didn’t think anything of it, we’ve dealt with diaper rashes in the past.  A little Desitin here, some Vitamin A&D there, and she’ll be good as new.  Right.

Weeks passed and there was no change.  Ashlynn happened to be with us for Reagan’s 2-year check-up and we asked Dr. Susie to take a look.  She agreed it was a nasty one and gave us new instructions for its care.  We bought the more expensive Butt Paste, we allowed her to air dry 2-3x a day, we no longer used wipes, and so on.  I even switched to a new brand of diapers for a few days.

And yet still her rash remained.

At Ashlynn’s 8-week check-up, we brought up the subject of her rash again and this time she told us to use a clotrimazole cream in case it had turned into a yeast infection.  We were told to call her if there was no change and she’d call in a prescription for the “magic diaper cream”.

A few days on the clotrimazole and still there was no change.  We were now on week 5 of a very determined, ugly diaper rash.  My only consolation was that it didn’t seem to bother her, she never acted like she was in pain.

But I was fed up and turned to the Twitter for some advice and help.  Within minutes of my tweet, I had mother after mother asking me if we were using Pampers diapers.  I swallowed hard and responded in the affirmative. I had over 10 mothers respond that it was the diapers, that their new “Dry Max” formula was causing all sorts of diaper rashes and chemical burns on babies.

I was/am livid.

I’d heard about the problem when the new diapers came out late last spring/early summer, but I didn’t think anything of it because we were a Luvs family.  Except that we always use Pampers Swaddlers when they’re newborns, they’re so soft and fluffy and seem to encase babies bottoms gently.  I had no reason to question their safety, I’d used them on all my babies and had never had a problem before.

I got all sorts of advice from switching diaper brands to suggested creams to prescriptions that worked for them.  I discovered that it took some families weeks to get rid of the diaper rash after switching brands, some even had to use a prescribed steroid cream.  All have said that once they switched brands and got rid of the rash, it never came back.

I’ve done the google search, I visited the Facebook pages dedicated to getting the word out about Pampers, I read about the class-action suit against Proctor & Gamble, and I’m steamed.  How does a company ethically produce a product that is proven to cause damage to the consumers?  How dare they continue to generate profit at the expense of babies?  And how do they argue against proof of thousands of parents who no longer deal with diaper rashes/chemical burns after switching brands?  I don’t know, but I know this family is done with Pampers.

It almost made me want to switch to cloth diapers.  Almost.  If I hadn’t had 6+ years of success with disposable diapers, I probably would’ve been on the 1st train out of there.  But seeing as this is our 1st real bad experience in those 6+ years, we’ll just continue to move forward with our disposable-diaper-loving-ways.

Obviously I switched Ashlynn from Pampers immediately and started her on a new diaper rash formula given to me by a friend, whose doctor gave to her.  (Equal parts aquaphor, desitin, and clotrimazole.)  I already see a HUGE difference, but there is still some remnants of the rash and every time I see it, my inner Mama Bear comes out.

Those Proctor & Gamble executives better hope they never run into the likes of a woman whose child was hurt in the name of profit.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

11 comments

Write comments
Kelly Marie
AUTHOR
12:50 PM delete

ohmygosh. I cannot believe that they continue to sell diapers that are proven to hurt the little one's tushes! That is absolutely disgusting. I'm glad you at least figured it out & I'm sorry you have to deal with stinking P&G bs!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
5:50 PM delete

sheesh! We just bought a box of swaddlers in newborn and size one, since that's what we've always used. I'll be on a close look out for the starts of any rash. I'm just shocked they haven't remedied the diapers by now or that the news hasn't been all over this. Don't the hospitals still use them too? So sorry about Ashlynn's little bum!

Reply
avatar
6:12 PM delete

That is sad and scary! I'm sorry poor Ashlynn had to suffer. I hope she'll be feeling better soon!

Reply
avatar
6:24 PM delete

I stopped using pampers (we used to use them at night) because of this. I had read about others having problems with the new diapers. So we switched. Aside from the diapers causing horrible rashes; the propaganda they are pumping out is ridiculous. They are trying SO hard to convince people there is no problem. And their website with the "helpful" cloth diapering info... wow.

Reply
avatar
Kortney
AUTHOR
11:06 PM delete

So my 3 week old has a rash too. She is still at the hospital in the NICU where they use Pampers. I'll have to see what they have to say about all this.

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
8:42 AM delete

It really is so sad isn't it? I switched diapers when that first came out and will never buy another Pampers diaper. Ever! I did a blog post about it, and actually, that's how I met Angie (ajsipes from Twitter) last spring.
I'm so glad to hear her little tush is clearing up! Poor thing.

Reply
avatar
Sara
AUTHOR
11:42 PM delete

I have always used Huddies, but had many a daycare kiddo on pampers at home. EVERY one of them would get rashes, and by the end of the week (being in Huggies mon-friday since I provide the diapers) the rash was gone or near gone, but back full fledge on Monday. Hope she is better soon!

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
2:32 PM delete

Unbelievable! We havn't had a rash, but I will not buy a product any longer that would let this happen! Thanks for the post Jenn!

Reply
avatar
pedro
AUTHOR
8:23 AM delete

There's actually very little oversight on health safety and hygenic products. If it's not consumable or pharmaceutical, companies aren't required to fully disclose the ingredients of their products. You'll never actually see what makes somethign "fragrant" on the package. It's believed in some circles that most fragrances are carcinogenic. Our family has moved toward using mostly fragrance-free products, unless the fragrance is provided by an essential oil.

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
8:48 AM delete

We had the same problem. It was so bad. No one who saw the rash had ever seen anything like it before. It was like a chemical burn.

Reply
avatar
Amber L.
AUTHOR
6:43 PM delete

Yikes. So sorry. We love Luvs. Alina hasn't had one rash on them. I also don't wipe her unless she pees. Glad to here you figured it out. I will pass the info. on to my fellow moms down here.

Reply
avatar