Houston, We Have a BIG Problem

Friday, February 11, 2011 7 Comments A+ a-

Last night we went to a local Hibachi Japanese Steakhouse… Its one of those places that cooks the food in front of you, the chef entertains you with flying cookware, and flames dance across the stove.  Jon and I also indulged in some Spicy Tuna rolls, the same ones I’d been eyeing during our last date in October.  Yummy!

We took Devyn and Hudson with us this time to celebrate my mother-in-law’s birthday.  It was Devyn’s 2nd time going and Hudson’s first.  We knew Hudson would be tickled by the experience and I couldn’t wait to watch his reaction.

However, we reached another milestone of a different kind.  One I had not anticipated happening for quite some time.

The hostess led us to the table we’d be sharing with another family, and I shared a smile with the family of three teenage girls.  Two of them seemed about the 12 – 14 years of age range.  Hudson was a little sleepy and I thought I’d wait until he woke up fully before moving him to his own seat.  I tried to settle him into my lap but he kept scooting to the far edge of my seat, and I couldn’t figure out why.

About 10 minutes passed and we finally stopped playing musical chairs, with Hudson ending up next to his dad.  As we looked over the menu, I leaned forward to ask Hudson what he wanted for dinner.  With his face tilted down, he lifted it just a smidge, his eyes darting first to the young girls to my left, before looking back down with a smile on his face.  I sat back in shock.  Like my mother-in-law said, if I hadn’t witnessed it with my own eyes, I would never have believed that my son had obviously developed a slight crush.

DaddyHudsonThe rest of the night was very much the same.  I tried to get Hudson’s attention, only to have his attention going to the girls first to see if they were looking at him, a quick response to my question, before looking back down and smiling.  I even tried to get him to smile for a picture with Jon, only you can see that he kept his face hidden the entire time.

Sigh.

My heart broke a little tonight.  I never thought the noticing of girls happened so quickly!  And quite frankly, it’s a big, BIG problem for this mama.  I’m not ready for this yet…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
AndreaLeigh
AUTHOR
8:58 AM delete

oh girl! Cooper is SUCH a flirt! Whenever we go anywhere, he stares at the people around us the entire time. The first time he ever blew a kiss wasn't to me - it was to a teenage boy sitting at a table near us in a restaurant!

Reply
avatar
Angie
AUTHOR
9:09 AM delete

Awww...what a sweet story! I too will be a bit sad when Hayden starts to notice girls.

Reply
avatar
12:41 PM delete

Aw, Jenn that is so cute and sweet!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
12:43 PM delete

Like we've always said, he is going to be a heartbreaker. I didn't think it would come so early either. I can just see him flashing a flirtatious smile in the direction of young girls. You know where he got it though, I remember Jon smiling the same way at you. :)

Reply
avatar
12:45 PM delete

Aww that is too cute!

McKayla has done this once, but I haven't seen it in a while!

Reply
avatar
Ali Thompson
AUTHOR
2:54 PM delete

My husband boasts that he kissed two girls at once when he was two.

Yeah.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
12:04 AM delete

Oh my!!! I think you guys are in for some interesting times in the future!! =) There will have to be an "Eight Rules To Date My Son"!!! =)
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar