Sunday Sundries

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4 Comments A+ a-

sundries / [suhn-dreez] - sundry things or items, especially small, miscellaneous items of little value

Hudson came down with a cold last week, complete with runny nose and cough.  It was a matter of time before the rest of the family came down with it too.  Reagan’s cold appeared on Friday and my throat started tickling on Friday night.  It became a full-fledged sore throat and congested sinuses by Saturday morning.  And now Ashlynn has it too.  Only Jon and Devyn have escaped it so far.  Someone knock on some wood for me.

I didn’t get much sleep last night.  There’s just something about a baby being sick that puts me on high alert.  I tried clearing Ashlynn’s nasal passages as much as possible with the nose-sucky-thingy, but it didn’t do much good.  Poor thing sounds miserable, and obviously feels just as bad.  She alternates between sleep and severe irritability.  Poor girl.

Devyn still wanted to go to church this morning, in spite of the fact that the rest of us were down for the count.  Thankfully my mom was willing to pick her up and take Devyn to church with her.  That’s just one of the benefits of living within 10 minutes of my parents.  Devyn also keeps asking if she can spend the day with Nana.  I have no doubt that my daughter will be gone the rest of the day.

Speaking of Devyn, someone (cough, cough) forgot to give us her homework folder.  It was the first time to get “in trouble” with the teacher as a parent, and I must say, not a fan.  So we spent the weekend working on a presentation about the Dall Sheep.  It was due last week.

Munchkin Land Designs had a very busy month and I’m so very thankful for the opportunity to earn some extra income while staying home.  I’ve been working on learning Wordpress, another platform for blogging, but the coding and files are very confusing as opposed to Blogger.  I think I found a breakthrough thanks to my friend Kim, and I should be able to offer Wordpress designs very soon.  I completed my first Wordpress design last night, and while I still have a lot to learn, I’m very pleased with how it turned out!

Jon broke his finger at work this past week.  And the stubborn man refused to get it x-rayed or looked at by a doctor.  (Have I mentioned how very stubborn my husband is?!)  Instead he opted for a splint bought at our local superstore and is self-medicating with tylenol.  I can only imagine what he’ll be like after his vasectomy.

Speaking of that, we’ve affectionately termed February 23rd as V-Day.  We had the consultation for the procedure a few weeks ago and the doctor wanted to make sure that we understood it was a permanent decision.  “Just remember, in 10 years you can’t change your mind,” he told us.  We burst out laughing.  In 10 years we’ll have a 16, 14, 12, and 10-year-old.  I’m pretty sure the last thing on our minds will be adding a baby at that point. 

I have a lot of mixed emotions about V-Day and I’m sure I’ll have an extensive post about it at another time.  But right now the overriding emotion is relief.

We’re waiting for one more W2 form before we start working on our taxes.  After looking over Jon’s W2 yesterday, we’re even more in awe of how we’re able to make it on one income.  It truly doesn’t make sense on paper. 

Hopefully it’ll translate into a nice tax return because we have some medical bills to pay off.  Ashlynn is by-far our most expensive baby.  Our hospital bill to have Devyn totaled $300 and it went up progressively for Hudson and Reagan.  But our portion for Ashlynn is in the thousands.  Its crazy how insurance has changed in the six years since we started having babies.  She’s worth every penny, but good gracious.

And now I leave you with a picture of our girls.  Hudson was helping Jon in the garage, otherwise I would’ve attempted to get all four of them in the picture. 

GirlsMy cup overflows.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
5:46 PM delete

I love your posts, Jenn! You are such an inspiring mother! xoxo

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:38 PM delete

I love catching up with all your news on this post today, Jenn!! Thanks for letting us have Devyn for the day--it was so much fun! =) Praying for you all to get well soon.
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:15 PM delete

I found myself nodding along with just about everything you said on here. It IS crazy how much insurance has changed in such a short time. I agree, you probably won't want to add another baby to the family 10 years from now. :) I hope you all (especially little Ashlynn) start feeling well SOON! Love you.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:16 PM delete

P.S. LOVE the picture of the girls. :)

Reply
avatar