If Ever You Worshipped

Sunday, January 16, 2011 5 Comments A+ a-

I was just lamenting with my mother-in-law the other day that I miss my daily, early morning quiet times with God.  I miss the aroma of my steaming coffee beside me as I dived into His words, read a devotion, journaled, and spent some time praying.  And now its nearly impossible to have that time with Him.  Aside from the fact that I'm bound by Ashlynn's internal feeding schedule, I also know from experience that no matter how early I wake, the Littles will wake earlier.  Every time I've set the alarm a half-hour early, without fail Devyn or Hudson will wake at the same time.  So I find myself missing my time alone with God, and wondering when I'll get to have that time back.

Then as if God himself was whispering to me, this song was sung in church today.  Some may say the timing was a coincidence, but I know better.  I hope it speaks to you as it spoke to me, it even convicted me.  May I remember that in these years, when sleep is little, patience is low, demands are many, that in serving my young ones, I'm offering a worship to Him.



If Ever You Worshipped
By Danny Oertli

It wasn’t that long ago
You were a girl all alone
There was no way to know
How soon you’d have kids of your own

Now you’re the first one awake
The last one asleep
Cleaning and making your plans
And there are days when it feels
Like there’s no time to pray
You wonder if God understands

But if ever you worshiped, it’s now
If ever you kept your vow
You may not understand how
But if ever you worshiped, it’s now

The memory of leaves in the fall
Walking through the canyons so tall
God was so close in it all
Now your chance to worship seems small

Now you’re the first one to taste
But the last one to eat
When everyone goes their own way
And its your name that’s called
In the deep of the night
One more hour of sleep floats away

But if ever you worshiped it’s now
If ever you kept your vow
You may not understand how
But if ever you worshiped it’s now

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Rebecca
AUTHOR
2:48 PM delete

I completely understand where you are coming from. It's it wonderful that God gives us just what we need, at just the right time.

The best thing we found for the kids is an alarm clock that turns green when they are allowed out of bed each morning. They do wake up before it goes off but stay in bed until it turns green. I was surprised how well it worked, almost like a game for them. But it gives me until a specified time each morning to make sure I can shower and such.
I'm sure you could rig up the same thing with a table lamp and a timer plug thingy.

Reply
avatar
4:32 PM delete

I love Danny Oertli! He was a camp counselor at my most favorite summer camp I ever went to in Jr High/High School. I remember one summer when he came back to camp to do a concert for us and I bought his first CD. Good times and good music!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

What a beautiful song!! Thanks for showing this!

Reply
avatar
Anita Kaiser (-Feia)
AUTHOR
5:12 AM delete

I just had that "I don't have time for quiet time" - talk with my Dad yesterday. This blog was just what I needed. thanks!

Reply
avatar
Ginny
AUTHOR
2:07 PM delete

Thanks Jenn. This comes to me at a much needed time of encouragement too. Tina passed it on to me. I heard a parent say recently, "The best way to be a good parent is to enjoy your children." Well, yes. It's hard sometimes. But, true.

Reply
avatar