How are we doing this?

Friday, January 28, 2011 12 Comments A+ a-

Its been a year since I started praying faithfully and passionately that God would work on Jon’s heart to allow me to be a stay-at-home-mom.  I completely underestimated Him and asked Him for a 12 months, saying I’d like to be home by December.  It was a mere three months later that Jon gave me the ok to quit.  Three months!  I’m still in awe at how fast God worked.

On February 1st, I’ll have been a full-time, stay-at-home mom for nine months.  Nine months to adjust to our lower income, nine months to settle into new routines and new attitudes, nine months to let it sink in that I’m home for good.  Nine months and we still don’t know how we’re making it work.

During the years that I was a working mom, we swore we needed my income.  And truth be told, at that time, we did.  I had no choice but to work, if for nothing more than the medical insurance for myself.  Of course, the fact that my mom and sister watched the kids for considerably less than what we would’ve paid a daycare helped too.  But at this time last year, while God was making my desire to stay home stronger, He was also moving circumstances around like chess pieces and making it obvious that this was His will too. 

As we calculated budgets and bemoaned the loss of my income, we knew it’d be tight but doable.  And yes, its tight, but based on our country’s standards of living and what our country deems livable, we should not be making this work.  For example, we spend about half of what the rest of the US spends on groceries for a family of six.  HALF.  And yet, our children snack throughout the day and go to bed with full tummies. 

We are in awe.

A couple of weeks ago I called Jon at work after a particularly hard and trying day with the Littles.   When he answered, I blurted out, “That’s it.  I’m going back to work.”  He laughed good-naturedly, then seriously responded with, “No, you’re not.  This is the best thing we’ve ever done.”

That heart that I started praying so fervently for last January?  Its been completely overhauled.  Jon is amazed at how the kids have changed since I’ve been home, he loves that I cook and bake more, and still wishes that I had a better handle on the laundry.  (Me too, Babe, me too.)  But nothing, nothing, makes me smile more than when Jon turns to me with an awed smile on his face and asks, “How are we doing this?!”  There’s only one answer, because on paper, it just doesn’t make any sense.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Deidre
AUTHOR
6:09 AM delete

I LOOOVE this story. God works everything out when we choose to honor His name. YOU ARE!

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
8:29 AM delete

God is so faithful in how he provides, it amazing to see Him work in your family!

Reply
avatar
9:23 AM delete

So glad that this worked out for you and you get to be at home! You deserve it!

Reply
avatar
Tabaitha Kaye
AUTHOR
10:01 AM delete

It's amazing how God provides.

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
10:02 AM delete

You are absolutely amazing and I think you and Jon are fabulous XOXO :)

Reply
avatar
Kelly Marie
AUTHOR
10:05 AM delete

Jenn - you and your family deserve everything y'all want & I'm so happy this worked out for you!

Reply
avatar
11:18 AM delete

I know what you mean. I have never worked and there has been some hard years but we have always made it through. Last year we only brought in a little over 30k (due to my husband being laid off/un-employed) and somehow we were able to make our house payments, put food on the table, cloth our children, put gas in our two (paid for) vehicles and pay all our utilities and bills! No, it doesn't make sense on paper but somehow God is able to work it all out. It's truly amazing! Hopefully this year will be better though! Lol! ;-)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:17 PM delete

I love this post. I can relate to it SOOO much! It's amazing to watch God provide for us time and time again. He is good!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
5:21 PM delete

my eyes are brimming with tears. thank you. i needed to hear this. i am about to go back to work after having my daughter. i ache deeply to stay home with my beautiful girl and focus on making a home. thank you for the challenge pray faithfully and passionately.

Reply
avatar
Joyfulness
AUTHOR
9:16 AM delete

That's so amazing! My husband and I were just discussing how blessed we are to have me staying home. It's so wonderful when the hubby's see the benefit too! Though some days, something, anything ELSE sounds very appealing... though I must say those "bad" days get fewer and fewer, either because the kids get bigger or I mature more. Probably some of both.

About the previous post.. I don't want to join in the giveaway. Starbucks is too far away to enjoy anyway. But I do read your blog. I found it years ago through your cousin (or Jon's cousin?) Jessica. Jess & I's husbands have worked together in the past, and it would be really awesome to get stationed together again but I doubt it will happen. We're in beautiful Germany these days.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
7:25 PM delete

Jenn, I LOVE this post! =) And I LOVE how on paper, there is NO WAY you should be able to be home full time with the kids, and yet God continues to meet your needs!! It is a testimony to His faithfulness and to yours and Jon's trust in Him. Like I said today, when it doesn't seem possible, remember Jesus and the fish and loaves....it's just a modern story of that today for you!!
I love you, Mom =)

Reply
avatar
Marianne
AUTHOR
8:16 PM delete

Pretty amazing isn't it my dear friend?!!?:) Gives me the chills when I think of it-"not making sense on paper' and it's AWESOME:) Keep living your life the way you are-it's an example to us all and He is blessing your whole family for it!! I love you!!

Reply
avatar