Going to The Chapel

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 5 Comments A+ a-

When two sisters blog, I tend to forget what I have or have not shared with you all.  Not to mention the fact that I hate to feel like I’ve beaten a dead horse for the family and friends that read all of our blogs.  So this past month I’ve probably neglected to mention that my sister, Allison, got engaged to Brian; that my sister, Christine, found out that they’re having a boy; that sister, Courtney, chopped her hair after growing it out for years; and that all four of us were incredibly blessed with KitchenAids for Christmas.  (You can click on the links to read the back stories about all of those events, and the KitchenAids… Wow!  Very unexpected and very thankful!)

But now its my turn to blog about something that hasn’t been blogged yet. 

Wedding gown shopping!

Ok, so before anyone has a coronary, I am not going to post pictures or describe Allison’s wedding gown.  Hello?!  I have some tact and obviously Alli wants to surprise Brian on their wedding day.  But I can describe the day, can’t I?!

As we usually do when a Sanchez girl gets engaged, first thoughts turn to wedding gowns and wedding gown shopping.  Unfortunately, with Alli getting engaged so close to the holidays, we had to put it on hold until this past weekend.  An appointment was made, and per our usual tradition, we had a lunch at Applebee’s beforehand.  Its usually a great time of visiting, laughing, and asking questions of the bride-to-be of what she’s looking for in a gown.  This lunch was no exception.

We then headed to David’s Bridal where Alli was walked through the process of finding some gowns to try on.  This first visit was just to show Alli different styles and help her get a better idea of what she wanted.  Or so we thought.

As the gowns hung outside her dressing room, one gown in particular caught my eye.  It was so different from the other gowns, and nothing like anything any of us had tried on before.  I was curious to see how Alli would look in it.  The first gown was tried on, and while beautiful, it didn’t have that “it” factor.  Back to the dressing room and the dress that had caught my eye.

When Alli walked out in that gown, I literally had to catch my breath.  It was gorgeous and it made her skin simply glow.  I knew instantly it was “THE” dress, but she had to try on a few more gowns to make sure.  But as soon as she tried on the second gown again and I caught the look in her eye, I knew we’d found her wedding gown.

Despite how she looked in the gown, the circumstances surrounding her dress made it very clear that this was meant to be.  Alli is 4’11 and the consultant just happened to remember that they had this dress in a petite, one of only two petite dresses in the store, and it just happened to be in Alli’s size.  Incidentally, the dress had been sent to this David’s Bridal store by accident and they were preparing to send it back this week.  Which turned out to be quite fortunate since they were discontinuing this dress and it could no longer be ordered.  It was also quite obvious that no one else had tried on the gown, so it was in pristine condition. 

As Mom, Grandma, the sisters, Alli, her friend, Kaia, and I were discussing the gown, the consultant disappeared into the bridesmaid section and came out with the PERFECT bridesmaid gown.  It was so complimentary to the bridal gown that there wasn’t a doubt in our minds that we were done, bridal gown and bridesmaid dresses in one trip.  And I can share a picture of the bridesmaid gown, with Allison’s blessing.

bridesmaiddressIsn’t it gorgeous?!  I can’t wait to wear it on September 25th.  I felt like a little girl spinning circles in that voluminous skirt.  (And yes, I did spin circles.  I’m not afraid to admit it.)

We’re a little sad that we’re already done.  Each sister visited about three to five bridal shops before finding our bridal gowns, then the bridesmaid dresses involved more shopping trips.  So to have Allison find her gown on the first visit, and have the bridesmaid dresses too, was quite a surprise to all of us.  But since those details can be checked off Alli’s list, I guess we can move on to other wedding details now.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Kerbi
AUTHOR
5:39 PM delete

I just love the bridesmaid gown she chose!! I love your new layout too! I've been thinking of changing a few things one mine. I still haven't mailed your card, I'm so sorry for that. I will mail it no later than Saturday. I promise!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:53 PM delete

I like the dress a little more every time I see it! I just love the whole wedding planning thing. What will we do when Alli's wedding is over? ;-)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
5:16 AM delete

I just LOVE both Allison's dress and the bridesmaids' dresses!!! =) They are going to look AMAZING together and I think you all are going to have fun wearing them!! I can't believe it's over either. =( But I know that Allison is happy with her choices!! =) Bring on the other wedding planning!! You girls will look beautiful!!
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
11:35 AM delete

Love it! Allison is going to be a beautiful bride and I can't wait to see all of you in those fabulous dresses.
I am so excited for all the fun changes for your family this year.

Reply
avatar
11:59 AM delete

What a beautiful dress! My sister got married on September 25th :)

Reply
avatar