Her Arrival, Part 1

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10 Comments A+ a-

I felt the 1st contraction at 8:00am, while I put the finishing touches on Devyn’s hair.  I paused mid-brush and had to breathe through the pain, finally relaxing once I felt the contraction crest and then to start to ease.  “Hmmmm,” I thought to myself.  “That one really hurt!”  Then proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes getting the kids ready, out the door, and to my parent’s house so Devyn and Hudson could attend bible study with Nana.  Just as I pulled into the driveway, another strong contraction started and I was unable to move from the driver’s seat until it started to subside.

I unloaded the kids from the car and we made our way into the house, loaded down with the diaper bag, my laptop, and coats and shoes that had yet to be put on.  As we sat at the kitchen table admiring the new advent calendars that my parents had bought the kids, another contraction started and ended with my mom watching my face carefully.  I just waved my hand, indicating that it was nothing, probably more false labor.  However, within a matter of 10 minutes, I had three strong contractions and I finally said the words I’d been thinking out loud, “Mom, I’m not sure you should go to bible study today.”  And Mom was completely convinced after another contraction started within seconds of that announcement.

I called Jon and the doctor’s office, telling both that I needed to come in for a labor check.  You could hear the placating tones in everyone’s voices as they’d been dealing with my labor checks for a few weeks now.  Mom agreed to watch the kids for me, and Jon said he’d meet me there.  As I started driving away from my parents, I started making the needed calls to friends to be on stand-by, that I might just need them to watch Hudson and Reagan for me today after all.  I was so caught up in the urgency of the events that I’d forgotten to take out the kids carseats and flipped a U-turn to do just that.  Finally, a little over an hour after my first contraction, I was on my way to the doctor’s office.

Mom had wondered out loud if I was capable of driving myself to the doctor’s office and I assured her I was fine, that I wasn’t entirely convinced myself that I was experiencing the real deal.  There were a couple of smaller contractions on the way, but about two miles from the doctor’s office one contraction was so strong and so powerful that I contemplated pulling over to the side of the road until it was done.  One thing was certain, I was pretty sure I shouldn’t be driving.

When I finally got to the doctor’s office, Jon was already waiting inside, and I shot him a weak smile as I leaned against the front counter waiting for the next contraction to lessen.  I was called back to an exam room shortly after that where I sat second-guessing whether or not this was the real thing, yet cursing Jon when he told me that he fully expected to go back to work.  But when another contraction started, all doubt vanished.  These were simply taking my breath away.

I could hear my doctor talking to a patient in another exam room, and I could feel myself getting annoyed, wondering why they didn’t feel the same urgency as I did.  When the second contraction started easing, I looked at Jon and said, “If she’s not here in three minutes, you’re going to look for her.”  Jon’s response was to roll his eyes, but not long after, Dr. Susie walked into the room.  We went over the morning’s events and as I started to get into position for her to check my progress, the third contraction since I’d walked into the room started; Jon gripped my hand as I breathed my way through the worst of it.

I carefully watched Dr. Susie’s face as she examined me and the look on her face said it all, without a doubt I was being sent to the hospital.  “Jenn,” she started, “you’re definitely having a baby today.  You’re already seven centimeters.”  I breathed a sigh of relief at her words, happy that I wasn’t going home without my baby in my arms, relieved that I wouldn’t have to face induction after all. 

But Dr. Susie still look concerned and asked me again how fast the others had come, and when she frowned at my answers, I finally asked her if everything was ok.  She slowly nodded yes and said, “I’m just concerned about whether or not we have enough time to get to the hospital.  I think I should call you an ambulance.”

…to be continued…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
Angie
AUTHOR
6:35 PM delete

Chill bumps all over my body! You have a way with words. You must post again soon!!

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
6:58 PM delete

And you make us wait there for more. I'll be checking daily until we get part 2.

Reply
avatar
Beth
AUTHOR
8:21 PM delete

oh not fair!!! hahahaha! You do have a great story-telling ability. Can't wait for part 2!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:51 PM delete

I'm reliving the day through your words. It was a great birth-story.

Reply
avatar
Marianne
AUTHOR
9:07 PM delete

OH MY GOSH!!!!! On both accounts-the story AND the leaving us hanging!!!!:) I love you and can't wait to find out if you REALLY got to go in an ambulance!!;P Sooooo glad she's here and can't wait for Part II of the story!!

Reply
avatar
Sara
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
You leave us hanging for a week and then STOP!? COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
avatar
Andrea Bontrager
AUTHOR
11:50 PM delete

Thanks for sharing her birth story, Jenn. I'll be looking forward to hearing the rest. I also wanted to thank you for your email, what seems like eons ago, when I asked for advice. I've read it more than once, and I'm sure I'll be reading it again when Baby B arrives. Counting down to Dec. 14, but realizing it could be longer... :)

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Seriously?! You are KILLING me leaving us hanging like that! hehe

Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

Merry Christmas, my friend.

xxx Mary

Reply
avatar
Elissa
AUTHOR
11:06 AM delete

Post again soon!!

Is your doctor Dr. Klinger? My doctor (Dr. Henderson) is out for the month of December so I'm seeing her this month.

Reply
avatar
Kimberly
AUTHOR
11:55 AM delete

Oh, I love birth stories! Thanks for sharing!! But, I could have done without the "to be continued" part. :) Hope you post again soon!

Reply
avatar