Her Arrival, Part 2

Thursday, December 09, 2010 16 Comments A+ a-

My sincere apologies, everyone!  I truly didn’t intend to be so cruel in my cliff-hanger…  I just saw how long the birth story was getting and thought that would be a great place to end it.  Please, no mutiny!  You can read the 1st part here.

Jon and I exchanged one look and both quickly shook our heads no at the suggestion of an ambulance.  “I’ll be able to get her there a lot faster than an ambulance could,” Jon reasoned.  And when Dr. Susie was reminded that Jon was First Responder Certified, she asked if he was prepared to birth a baby in the car.  Jon’s reply?  “I could if I have to, but I’d rather not.”  Dr. Susie finally relented the idea of an ambulance and shooed us out the door after we promised to head straight to the hospital, to which we laughed.  As if we had anywhere else we had to be.

We both had our cell phones out and dialing various family and friends before we reached the car.  I tried Mom, then a couple of sisters, only to reach their voicemails.  I finally got a hold of Christine and was only able to utter the words, “Seven centimeters.  Hospital now.  Please hurry!”  I called my friend, Cassie, who agree to pick the kids up from my parents house and Jon relayed that information to Mom, who was frantic to get to the hospital after missing out on Reagan’s birth.  Between calls and a couple of contractions, Jon and I made many jokes about the morning’s events on our way to the hospital.  And truth be told, I don’t think his driving was any different than how he normally drives.  Take that as you want.

BirthCollage1Jon dropped me and my purse off at the entrance and I made my way up to the Labor and Delivery floor.  I had to pause a couple of times in the hallways for the strong contractions, and thankfully no one bothered my by asking if they could help or if I was all right.  I would have walked a fine line between annoyed and mortified if they had.  Jon met me on the 3rd floor, and we were led to my room where we were given the same directions that I’d been given the two previous times before.  While in the bathroom changing, I had two intense contractions that almost made me cry out to Jon for help.  And if I could have talked, I probably would have.

Finally I was settled into the bed where I promptly asked for the epidural.  Don’t get me wrong, I realize that I was probably already at 8cm (much like I was when giving birth to Hudson) but I didn’t care.  I have no desire to feel pain and if I can go through birthing a child without it, I’ll gladly take the pain-free route.  Dr. Susie had obviously called ahead and given the nurses all the information they needed, as I suddenly had four nurses by my side, each one doing something different.  One administered an IV, one attached the monitors, another was already notifying the anesthesiologist that they were needed, etc.  It was like a well-oiled machine.

BirthCollage2Mom arrived, followed by Jon’s mom, then the requested anesthesiologist, and in the midst of receiving the best epidural of all four deliveries, I had THE most intense contraction.  I know that I squeezed Jon’s hand too hard, but in that moment, all I could think was, “Thank the lord, I won’t be feeling any more of those!”  I profusely thanked the the kind doctor for the lack of pain I was now feeling, and was instantly smiling again.  I no longer had to fear the idea of giving birth without one.

The next couple of hours blurred together as everyone who needed to be there arrived, even Courtney who had to drive from 55 miles away in less than 40 minutes.  Dr. Susie arrived and explained why she wasn’t checking my process again, that since I was Strep B Positive, the less she checked the less likely for infection or making things go faster than they already were going.  And even though all three youngest kids had tested positive and we were well-familiar with the process of antibiotics, she went through the explanation again.  In fact, soon after she explained why they were afraid of my water breaking and not having the antibiotics in my system for long enough time, my water broke on its own.  We were now 3 for 4 with water breaking naturally.

BirthCollage3As the wait lengthened, there was talk of lunch and whether or not they dared leave after their experience of leaving for dinner when I was giving birth to Devyn.  And just like with Devyn, Dr. Susie, Jon, and I assured them that they had plenty of time to grab some lunch.  Yet once everyone had gone to the cafeteria, Dr. Susie finally decided to check me and that’s when she announced that I was almost 10cm and ready to push.  And just like with Devyn, we were frantically calling everyone to let them know they should probably return as soon as possible.  Only this time, we weren’t getting a hold of anyone as the cafeteria had spotty reception, at best.  Finally, (finally!) we got a hold of someone and waited for them to arrive and Dr. Susie and the nurses moved everything into place as we prepared for Ashlynn’s arrival.

BirthCollage4About the time everyone got back to the room, Dr. Susie was already having me starting to practice pushing.  Just as she had Jon lean over and take a look at Baby’s head, I saw my husband turn as white as a sheet, bark an order at Courtney to “Take over!”, and sat down to catch his breath.  Suddenly all attention turned from me and to the father-of-four who had never gotten light-headed in the delivery room before.  He was ordered to put his head between his legs, and we were all surprised when he ran to the bathroom to empty the contents from his stomach.  When he returned and despite all his insistences that he was fine, a cold wash cloth was laid across his brow and a student nurse stood behind him.  Just in case.

The attention returned to the birth at hand and Dr. Susie kept asking if I had any urge to push.  Unfortunately, unlike the epidurals with the other three, this epidural had worked SO well, that I wasn’t feeling anything and we relied on the monitors to tell us when I was having contraction to help with pushing.  With Hudson I only had to push three times and with Reagan, I pushed once, so I was a little surprised that I had to work harder with Ashlynn.  I guess that’s what I get for making assumptions again.  (And yes, I’m very aware that many women have to push for a lot longer than the 10 minutes I had to push with Ashlynn; it was just a surprise based on my own frame of reference.  Ok, I’ll stop now.) 

BirthCollage5But finally… after three (almost four) weeks of false labor, excruciating back pain and pelvic pressure, after two visits to the hospital and another two to the doctor’s office, she was finally here.  All six pounds, eight ounces, and nineteen inches of her.  She’s currently laying beside me as I type out this birth story.  The older three are distracted from fighting over her by watching “Horton Hears a Who” and I’m awed that eight days ago, she was nestled snug inside me and now none of us can imagine life without her.  Welcome to this crazy life, Miss Ashlynn Rose!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

16 comments

Write comments
Angie
AUTHOR
7:54 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Angie
AUTHOR
7:55 PM delete

What a great birth story! I'm so glad you got an epidural in time. I was wondering about that!!

I love the collages...too cute!

Reply
avatar
Kristen
AUTHOR
8:00 PM delete

Thank you Jenn for this beautiful birth story! I am currently crying in the bar (working on my own website) but after this story, I think you will have another 3 followers, as other women have gathered around my laptop to read! (women to babies, like moths to a flame) Thank you again for sharing!

Reply
avatar
pedro
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

Thanks for part 2 ;) Glad the labor went so well after so much waiting. hope I vet to met Ashlynn (and Reagan) after Christmas.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:11 PM delete

Love that picture of the sisters crowding around for the best view.

And love this story too! ;)

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
8:20 PM delete

Great story! Glad everyone is doing well.

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:29 PM delete

Thanks for sharing! And what great pictures!
Love you!

Reply
avatar
Marianne
AUTHOR
10:22 PM delete

Love, Love, LOVE IT!!!! You still are one of the best story tellers that there is Jenn!!:) SO glad she is here and can't wait to meet her!! Congrats to Alli and Brian too-I was just on FB and saw the beautiful ring!!!!!! So excited for all you ladies out there with all the happenings and happiNESS out there!!:) Love ya!!

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
6:42 AM delete

Beautiful story and beautiful beautiful pics. :)

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
8:21 AM delete

Thank you for sharing Jenn! I had to giggle a little bit when I read about Jon, I just can't picture him like that after already being with you for 3 births!

I'm SO glad I got to meet Ashlynn yesterday, she is absolutely precious and makes me want one of my own even more! I'm so happy for you guys!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
12:25 PM delete

Beautiful story and pictures! You family is amazing. We pray all the best for you and yours as you welcome Ashlynn home.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:35 PM delete

I love the photos that you added to Ashlynn's beautiful birth story. I'm so glad we were all able to be there.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
11:25 AM delete

I am so glad you shared the birth story. I have been wanting to know details, but haven't wanted to call as I know you have your hands full.

Love you, Kiss your babies for me and send them our love. Alivia asks only everyday if we can go see Devyn and Hudson for Christmas. When I tell her we can't. She says, "How about for my birthday?" She misses you all very much!

Reply
avatar
Sheri
AUTHOR
12:55 PM delete

Jen, Congratulations!!! Ashlynn, is precious, and just beautiful like her mommy and sisters! And, thank you for sharing your fantastic birth story and great pictures!! Merry Christmas my friend! *Hugs*

Reply
avatar
Jenna
AUTHOR
8:05 PM delete

I love all the pictures! I was hoping Ashlynn and Brody would share a birthday - not quite but close!!! Hope you are doing well!

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
10:43 PM delete

What a great birth story!!! She is just beautiful and I'm glad the birth went as quickly as it could for you :) I'm so happy for your perfectly complete family!!!

Reply
avatar