A Great Man

Monday, December 20, 2010 3 Comments A+ a-

I've written about Jon's grandpa on a number of occasions on this blog.  I wrote about a fishing trip here, a generational legacy, and we've made numerous memories at his cabin.  If you follow my tweets, then you know where this post is headed.  But before I dive in, I feel like I need to relay the importance of Grandpa in our lives.  When I fell in love with Jon, I fell just as hard for Grandpa.  Jon is who he is today because of him; Grandpa's influence on Jon is written all over every area of his life.  Grandpa has left a distinguishable fingerprint on Jon, and in turn me.  He is a man of great strength, character, and faith.

Last Sunday, we celebrated Grandma and Grandpa 60th wedding anniversary, an anniversary few see or reach.  An example of marriage rooted in God and commitment.  Its a beautiful sight to behold, and I pray that Jon and I get to reach the same milestone.

Its amazing how fast life can change; less than a week later, Grandpa was in the ER not feeling well.  There were a number of different diagnoses, but one has floated to the surface and we have an official diagnosis of Acute Leukemia.  We're still waiting on which type of leukemia and how advanced the disease has spread.  We do know he's going in for surgery tonight to receive a port and is starting chemotherapy tomorrow.  Grandpa is looking to spend the next month in the hospital, receiving chemo for seven days, another medication for three days, then another round of chemo for seven days again.

We're asking for your prayers!  We're praying for wisdom for the doctors, peace for the family, strength and a desire to fight for Grandpa, and a positive attitude for all.  I know this, if anyone can beat this, its Grandpa.  He is one of the most stubborn, strong-willed men I've met and I pray those traits will serve him well through this valley.  He truly is one of the greats!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Neely
AUTHOR
3:36 PM delete

Praying for you guys! Hope you are well Jenn :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:52 PM delete

Praying for Jon, his Grandpa, and the whole family. I believe he will beat this.

Reply
avatar
Marianne
AUTHOR
7:08 PM delete

Jenn, just saw this post. He and the whole family are in our prayers my friend:) Love you!!

Reply
avatar