December Short Takes

Sunday, December 12, 2010 5 Comments A+ a-

Each year we give the kids approximately $10 to buy gifts for our family, and take them to our local dollar store; we feel it’s a great way to introduce them to the concept of giving.  We try to lead them to the general direction of items that might of interest to the recipient, but we never dictate what they should give.  Each child decides on their own what they want to give to each family member, which can lead to some interesting choices.

Devyn and I finished her shopping last week and we came down to the final person on her list… me.  We agreed that I’d wander around the front of the store while I let her pick out my gift by herself.  Approximately 15 minutes later she reappeared by my side with her hands behind her back, clutching her selection.  She had the most pleased expression on her face, and kept reminding me not to look. 

As I handed her the bills to pay for her gifts, I stood at the end of the register and let her finish her purchase.  And despite her best intentions to hide my gift from my eyes, I couldn’t help but catch a glimpse.  I had to bite my cheek quite hard to keep from smiling at the box of kleenex she’d chosen for me.  It’s the thought that counts, right?

************************************

LookALikesAnyone care to wager a guess on who these precious babies are?

************************************

Hudson ran to his room and grabbed the bag of presents from his closet, the hiding place he’d chosen for his gifts after our shopping trip.  He raced up to Reagan, rummaged through the bag, and pulled out the jump rope he’d chosen for Reagan.  He extended the jump rope to Reagan, as if to give it to her.  But when Reagan reached for her gift, he coyly pulled it away and shook his finger in her face.  “You gotta wait until Christmas, Reagan.”  Color her confused.

************************************

MyHeartCollageMy beautiful girls… My beautiful kids… My cup overflows…

************************************

Devyn: “Daddy, I can’t tell you what I bought you.  But I can tell you the color, its clear.”

Jon: “Um, let me guess, a tackle box.”

Devyn: “No Daddy!  I can’t tell you!  But it is fragile.”

Jon (turning to me): “Is it a b-e-e-r m-u-g?”  (We’re quickly approaching the point where we can’t spell things in front of her anymore.)

Devyn: “I can tell you its NOT a cup!”

Way to keep a secret Devyn Paige, we’ve never been more proud!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
11:26 PM delete

My parents did the dollar store thing, too!

Of course, keeping the gifts a secret was the hardest part.

I'm having some trouble with Superman right now... he won't even give me any hints as to what my Christmas present is! I guess I'm just a terribly impatient person!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:18 AM delete

That kleenex story cracks me up every time I hear it. That girl is just precious.

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
12:21 PM delete

Devyn, Ashlynn...left to right?

Reply
avatar
7:34 PM delete

So excited for you - yes, your cup overflows. They are all beautiful. What a joy to watch your family grow!

Love,
Katherine

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:13 PM delete

It blows me away how much Devyn and Ashlynn look alike. You are so blessed-4 beautiful and wonderful babes. I love them.

Reply
avatar