Just What the Doctor Ordered

Saturday, November 13, 2010 3 Comments A+ a-

I’ve been playing the Waiting Game for most of the week.  I seem to be in that time of my pregnancy where we sit around, do nothing, hurry up, and wait.  Truth be told, it hasn’t been fun and I’ve missed working up to the very end of my pregnancies.  Instead I’m in a new season, a new role, and it is requiring more patience of me.  Patience that I’m not sure I have.

Tuesday night found Jon, my mom, and I in the hospital for a few hours.  I’d been having contractions, right on top of the other, and they hurt.  Even as we walked into the hospital, Jon was pretty sure it wasn’t the real deal, but he knew better and indulged his hopeful wife.  I was checked and surprised to hear I’d progressed since my doctor appointment the week before and settled into bed wondering if this was THE night.  And while the monitors picked up some of the stronger contractions, and proved that I was in an-every-3-minute-pattern, they soon dissipated and we were sent home.

The next morning Reagan walked into our bedroom, crawled into bed with me, and asked for the Baby.  With a somewhat discouraged spirit, I lifted my shirt to show that Ashlynn was still inside.  And yet on the other hand, I was thankful for another day with Reagan as the baby.

Wednesday my parents indulged me with a lunch out for spicy Mexican food, some of the spiciest I’ve eaten in a long time, and long walks up and down a 3-block-long hill by my parents house.  Nothing.  No contractions, no backaches, nothing.  Although disappointed, I woke on Thursday morning with a new attitude and vowed to enjoy our first snowy day at home, which we did, complete with grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch, and hot chocolate with marshmallows after playing in the snow.  It was a good day.  A day to sit and count my blessings.

Then on Thursday night the contractions picked up again, complete with back aches and incredible pelvic pain.  I begged Jon not to take the Nyquil he so desperately wanted, “just in case”.  And thought for certain I was in the early stages of labor.  The whole next day I focused on those contractions, some merely uncomfortable, some having to breathe through, and one even waking me from a nap.  I focused on getting to my weekly appointment, sure I’d hear that I’d progressed to 5cm and to get to the hospital. 

I was sorely disappointed to hear there was no progress at all, and unfortunately Jon was the scapegoat the entire way home.  I would much prefer no contractions at all if there’s no progress to be made, but unfortunately, when you’re on child #4, our bodies don’t work that way.  And so here I sit, determined to ignore every contraction, instead of focusing on them, until I can’t ignore them any more.

toesBut the biggest blessing of today?  The thing that truly lifted my spirits and revived my determination to be patient?  These beautiful toes  right here!

My dear friend Mandy told me last week that we needed a girls day, then proceeded to make pedicure appointments for today.  She listened patiently to me all week as I excitedly told her of each new sign pointing to impending labor, she encouraged me during every letdown, and kept reminding me that Ashlynn couldn’t arrive until after our pedicures.

It was two hours of girl talk, of being pampered, of commiserating with another woman the pangs of this waiting period.  And it was greatly appreciated!  I feel rejuvenated and rested; I’m thankful for a friend for knowing exactly what I needed, when I couldn’t see past my own disappointment. 

And to all the other women in my life who have patiently listened to my complaints, my hopeful calls, and texts, to the friends who have sent encouraging words my way, my heart thanks you too.  I’m so blessed by each one of you, and I’m undone by your love and support.

Now I’m going to finish up some designs while I admire my buffed, massaged, and polished toes.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.


Write comments
5:02 PM delete

Your toe nails are so cute!! Glad to hear that you were able to have a day of pampering!

6:26 PM delete

Your toes look great. It is definitely just what the doctor ordered. I'm trying to get Pete to let me go get mine done before our little guy comes next month. It truly is relaxing.

10:32 AM delete

Mandy is such a great friend. I'm so glad you have her. Your toes and your feet look beautiful-you're not swollen at all! Even though it's your pregnancy and your baby I feel as though I'm playing the waiting game right along with you. So excited and so ready to meet Ashlynn.