Excuse me, does that say 6?!

Monday, November 08, 2010 5 Comments A+ a-

BirthdayCollage1

In spite of the fact that I just gave birth to Devyn Paige yesterday, yes, that candle does, in fact, have a number 6 on it.  I cannot get over the fact that my oldest, the beautiful girl that gave me the title “Mama” in the first place, is turning six years old this month.  I plan to have a whole post dedicated to her on her actual birthday, but today I just want to touch on a new phenomenon in our lives… the Friend birthday party.

After last year, Jon and I discussed the fact that we simply could not continue to combine all our family and friends for one birthday party and thus began our talks of dividing the two.  This was the first year that Devyn invited friends outside of our circle, the first time that Jon and I did not handpick her invite list from our circle of friends.  Devyn excitedly sat down with me one day and wrote out the list of friends she wanted to invite.  My eyes got wider as I realized we’d reached a new phase in our life.  One, she had to be the one to write down each name herself, painstakingly taking her time, and sounding out each name carefully.  And two, I had no idea who half these kids were, let alone whether or not I’d get along with their parents.  Sigh.  Our lives have changed.

The big day arrived, and with it, a new world of getting to know new friends, their parents, and a new dynamic to this growing-up thing.

BirthdayCollage3

 BirthdayCollage2

 BirthdayCollage4

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
5:19 PM delete

She is SO beautiful and I can not believe she's 6 either! I'm soooo not ready for the "friend party". Good thing I have a few more years. :)
Our little Devyn is growing up so fast. :(

Reply
avatar
Kodi
AUTHOR
6:23 PM delete

She is such a pretty little thing! Your kids are seriously such dolls! The cupcakes sure look good. ;)

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
8:47 PM delete

Oh my gosh, Jenn!!! That big picture of Devyn with her friends...she looks exactly like you! My goodness! Ummmm, did you know that we "met" when she was 20 months old or something? Aaaaahhhh!!! Love you:)

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
2:36 PM delete

I can't believe how big she has gotten!
Happy Birthday Party Miss Devyn! We love you.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

6 years old!! She IS growing too fast!! She was sooo cute with her friends at the party!! Life, indeed, has changed.....
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar