A Day to be Content

Thursday, November 11, 2010 6 Comments A+ a-

The snow is falling outside, another 4-6 inches is expected, and Jon's been working since midnight. He'll be home around noon, sleep the sleep of the dead for several hours, wake up for dinner and some family time before heading out at midnight again. I don't say it as often as I should, but I am so thankful for the hard-working man that is my husband.

As for the rest of our family, we're currently cocooned inside next to the fire, a cup of hazelnut coffee in my lap, a bowl of oatmeal has filled my tummy, and the sounds of my girls playing in the basement are making my heart content. Soon Hudson will come home after having a sleepover at my parents house and the noise level will rise several decibels. Sigh. Life in our house on a snowy day is good, and comforting, and evokes a sense of contentment and thankfulness like no other.
  • I'm thankful for the roof over our heads, a fire in our hearth, and a picture window to watch the falling snow.
  • I'm thankful for the pleas of hot chocolate that I will soon be hearing from little voices.
  • I'm thankful for the food that I will mix together in our crockpot; the smells will make our cozy home even homier.
  • I'm thankful after a discouraging night of false labor, then I awoke with a new perspective on His timing for our little girl's arrival.
  • I'm thankful for conversations between young siblings as they play indoor games and color pictures.
  • I'm thankful for a body that continues to nurture and protect our growing babe.
Life is about finding the blessings in all the small things, even the gargling toddler standing next to me. Her facial expressions are cracking me up; her small white teeth showing as she drinks, then gargles her water. Even when life seems so uncertain in the security of Jon's job and the tightening of the state's budget, even when we play the waiting game for Ashlynn's arrival, I am determined to find contentment in the every day things.

And truth be told, I'm even thankful for a day that forces us to stop, cuddle up, and soak in each other. My God knew exactly what I needed today.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Becky
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Beautiful post Jenn! There is so much joy to be found in appreciating the small, wonderful details of life. Like food in the crockpot and oatmeal in your tummy. So glad you were able to take a moment in your busy life to stop and take it all in. It looks like you've had a wonderful morning of clarity, what a blessing! Love you, friend!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:41 PM delete

I agree. What a beautiful post. And how sweet it is to stop and just be thankful! Don't you love how the snow outside tends to make us do that? Again, I loved this post.

Reply
avatar
Beth
AUTHOR
2:09 PM delete

precious and so true!
I don't envy your snow, though. It's a lovely 70something degrees here and I'm okay with that for now! hahaha

Thanks for posting this and reminding me of the LITTLE blessings.

Reply
avatar
Marianne
AUTHOR
6:31 PM delete

I love you my friend!! You have a gift of words in your writings Jenn!! Sounds like 'heaven on earth' to me!!

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
1:25 PM delete

This is so true and precisely what I am feeling today as well - although we don't have snow in Kansas City, we have rain. Which is so incredibly life-giving for me!
I snuggled up most of the day to count my blessings - and did a little laundry. :)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:03 PM delete

Beautiful, Jenn.....your gift of writing says it all and calls us to be right there with you. =) Contentment is a learned thing, especially in life today. Soak it in honey.....
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar