Coming Full Circle

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8 Comments A+ a-

BirthdayBannerOn this, the eve of Devyn’s 6th birthday, I am overcome with emotion and memories.  The birth of our oldest runs like a movie reel in my head and I’m overwhelmed by the similarities between now and then.

Six years ago tonight, I cried myself to sleep as I’d been turned away from Labor & Delivery for my planned induction due to the fullness of their floor.  Six years later, I’m near tears as I deal with intense contractions and no progress to show for it.  Six years ago tonight, I wondered what it would be like to hold my baby girl for the first time.  Six years later, I’m wondering the same thing.  Six years ago tonight, I sat on the precipice of my life changing forever.  And six years later, I sit on the same precipice wondering when we get to meet this latest addition to our family, changing it forever.

The only difference between then and now is 10 days.  Devyn was born 10 days after her due date, and Ashlynn still has 10 days to go until her due date.  Its an ironic twist of fate, is it not?  As we celebrate the birth of one daughter, the daughter who ushered in this new stage of our life of being parents, we anxiously await the arrival of another daughter to complete our family.  Aside from the hormones of a pregnant lady, I can’t help but tear up at the extraordinary timing of our God.

 

DevynBirthdayCollageIt was truly a lightning bolt with the arrival of Miss Devyn Paige.  From the moment they laid that baby girl on my chest in 2004, a lightning bolt of love seized my heart and I haven’t been able to love any less since.  “Where did time go?” I whispered to Jon as we sifted through the pictures of birthdays past.  How on earth did my baby girl go from infant to school girl in the amount of time it took me catch my breath?

She is beauty personified, in every way imaginable.  The person that she is inside radiates from the core outward, and I have no idea how I was given the honor of being her mother.  She humbles me with her unwavering faith in God, even going so far as to ask Him for a darker hair color and showing no surprise when it happened.  Her patience far outweighs mine, as she continually exceeds my expectations in her role as Big Sister, Big Cousin, or Caring Friend.  She is everything I strive to be, but fall so very short.  And neither Jon nor I can take any credit for the girl she is becoming.  Her heart is good, it is pure, and she is such a joy in our lives.

Miss Devyn Paige, the day you came into our lives forever changed us.  We are thrilled and blessed to be your parents, and continually pray for the guidance and wisdom in shaping you into who God has called you to be.  Baby Girl, I admire your quiet confidence in all situations.  I adore that you refuse to go along with a crowd, always willing to invite others to join you, but doing what you want even if no one else does.  That, my love, is a trait I never acquired and I know it will serve you well.  Thank you for touching all those around you with your stories of unwavering faith, I pray that you will always be a light for Him.  We love you and are so thankful to call you “ours”.  Happy Birthday, my love!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:15 AM delete

Oh Jenn, I started crying when I read this. Every word is so true. She really is a special girl and we are so lucky to have had her in our family for 6 years. Give her a birthday hug for me today please

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
8:36 AM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
8:37 AM delete

I have never had the pleasure of meeting sweet Devyn, but this post made me cry. What a wonderful blessing that girl is!

Reply
avatar
jenn
AUTHOR
10:11 AM delete

such a sweet post jenn!

happy birthday to your 'girl' =)

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
11:48 AM delete

Happy birthday to your big girl!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:19 PM delete

Thanks Jenn. You made me cry.
You are in a very ironic situation, aren't you?.
Devyn is such a special, warm, loving, caring, little girl. Her faith inspires me too, it is beyond her years. I love her SO much!
I know we're all excited to meet Ashlynn, and I'm looking forward to discovering who she is too.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
10:21 PM delete

What a beautiful post.
I love that Our God is so personal and has given you this special gift of full circle.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:15 PM delete

OK, as tears run down my face from reading this, I think at how blessed we all are with the gift of Devyn. All you wrote is so true of her, honey....I love her true, unwavering faith in God. And that she's not afraid to share it and talk about it. God has plans for her!! It's a beautiful post, honey. Happy Birthday Devyn!!
We love you, Nana and Papa

Reply
avatar