This Time, Its Different, Part I

Friday, October 29, 2010 0 Comments A+ a-

There were so many firsts with this pregnancy.  Firsts that caught me completely off-guard, firsts that I experienced much heartache over, firsts that I rejoiced, just so many firsts.  You’d think that this being my fourth pregnancy, I’d have experienced it all.  But truth be told, none of the other pregnancies could have prepared me for the physical and emotional toll this pregnancy has taken me on.

I’d experienced morning sickness up to 22 weeks with Hudson, so I wasn’t completely surprised when the morning sickness when beyond that time with Ashlynn.  Did it suck?  Oh yeah, but I was prepare for it.  The heartburn, however, was a new experience and one I’m not too fond of.  Like another friend quoted from the movie Juno, its the kind of heartburn that “is radiating in my knee caps” and nothing, NOTHING, makes it go away.  I’ve never had it with the other three, at least not to this extent. 

Ashlynn has started jumping on my bladder, and while I’d heard other women complain about this sensation before, I hadn’t yet experienced this joy for myself.  Until this time.  And every time she uses my bladder as a trampoline, I physically jump in pain.  There’s no way to explain the jolt that runs through your body when this happens, or how you silently negotiate with the child within to please. stop. jumping. on. my. bladder.  Mommy will buy you a pony, if you do!

And I’ve had active babies before, but none of the three can compare to the activity level of Ashlynn.  It is a steady stream of moving, and the kicking, oh the kicking!  There are times I wonder that she hasn’t broken her own bag of waters herself, her kicks are that strong.  Another expectant mother and I were commiserating on the fact that it truly feels like these little ones are trying to break our ribs.  Its crazy!

These are just the physical differences between this pregnancy and the others, I haven’t even touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the emotional differences this pregnancy has had on me.  Stay tuned…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.