There is no order to this post.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3 Comments A+ a-

We have a 30-40 minute drive to church. I've decided its a perfect time for blogging. But I'm warning you, there's no rhyme or reason to this post.

My mom took Devyn shopping yesterday. It was supposed to be for her 1st Day of School outfit. I'll let you guess how many outfits she came home with. And you can't forget the shoes. And the headbands. Basically Devyn is shiny and new from head to toe. Thanks Mom and Dad! Its a huge blessing!

We had our appointment with the school district on Friday and regretfully told them we wouldn't be needing their services this year. It was a good meeting, but essentially it was the all or nothing option, and neither of us is comfortable putting our 3-year-old in school for 4 days a week. The mom guilt set in as soon as we got in the car. I'm fairly certain that we did the right thing, but there's always the niggling doubt. We have some other ideas to help Hudson along with his speech. I'll be sure to keep you posted about how those pan out.

Last night, we celebrated my dad's birthday with a family bbq. As we started getting ready to go home, Hudson asked if he could have a sleepover at Nana and Papa's house. He whooped for joy when we said yes, and his excitement was even more obvious when he said, "Daddy, you leave now."

I had my 24-week check-up on Friday and literally almost gagged as the smell of the glucose drink brought deja vu. You'd think after the 4th time of doing this, I could pull on my big girl panties and just do it. But no. I literally had to hold my nose to chugg that nasty stuff. I highly doubt it'll come back positive for gestational diabetes since I've never had it with the other three. But I'm a huge believer in "better safe than sorry".

Along those lines, I gained five pounds in four weeks. Yippy skippy. So that puts me at a gain of 13 pounds based on my pre-pregnancy weight, which really isn't bad. But based on the fact that I was still at +5 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight with Reagan, I'm a little antsy about losing all this weight again. I have a slowing metabolism and age to battle this time around too. But, as I keep telling myself, it is all worth it. Grow, Miss Ashlynn, grow!

Reagan has developed a new bedtime routine. Gone are the days of simply laying down, pulling the blanket over her face, and drifting off to sleep. Now she's developed a game of throwing her pacifier over the side and screaming until Devyn gets out of her own bed and gives it back to her. She then repeats the game a few minutes later. Its all well and good until Devyn decides she's too tired to play anymore and falls asleep in spite of Reagan's screaming. At which point, Jon and I must go in there and hand her back the pacifier.

Devyn wore one of her new dresses to church this morning. As she twirled and preened in front of our mirror this morning, she told me, "I like the way this dress makes me feel." I want to know when she thought she had permission to grow up.

She starts kindergarten on Tuesday. I can't even think about it without getting teary. Pregnancy hormones and a milestone for our oldest do not make for a good combination. I can only imagine the blubbering, emotional mess I'm going to be on Tuesday. Prepare yourself for a wordy post that afternoon.

I am so looking forward to fall. The mornings are getting cooler and crisper. It brings visions of pumpkins, sweaters, boots, autumn colors, the smells of spice, nutmeg, and all things homey, of settling into a new routine with school, MOPS, and Awanas, of snuggling in our house as a family. I just love that we get all four seasons in Colorado.

There's more I'm forgetting, I'm sure of it. Pregnancy brain is in full force and I can't begin to tell you the number of things I've done recently. One of which involved using my car's key fob to attempt to lock my front door. (Yes, Jon still shakes his head at that one.) So until my blubbery, emotional post commemorating Devyn's big day...

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

I love that Devyn puts up with Reagan's screaming at night and even gets up to get her pacifer. That girl was made to be an older sister.

Reply
avatar
Joyfulness
AUTHOR
6:54 AM delete

Great updates. Shoes and headbands - I can just see how amazing she looks. How fun!

I'm surprised the school district wasn't flexible with you for Hudson. I'm certain you did the right thing too. I'll look forward to hearing more about how it goes.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:15 PM delete

I LOVE all the bits and pieces of this blog, Jenn. That is what life is made of...
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar