A Reason to Celebrate

Monday, August 30, 2010 7 Comments A+ a-

45116_760091448673_19209452_43579171_7597197_n

Last Friday, my dad was the same age as his dad when his dad passed away. To the day. On Saturday Dad had officially lived a day longer than his own. Its a morbid thing to celebrate, right?

Let me back up. My dad lost his dad at the very young age of 22 years old, it affected him greatly. I know of many people who measure their lives in the before and after of such events. For instance, our family (not Jon and I, but my sisters and parents) measures our family history as Before Anorexia and After Anorexia. Life took on two very different views after my sister, Allison, beat that eating disorder.

And my dad happens to measure his own life in terms of his dad’s death. As each of us have passed that 22 year milestone (the age he lost his dad), he has taken each daughter out to celebrate. He celebrated that last milestone with my youngest sister, Courtney, last year. This left only one more milestone for my dad to achieve, to live longer than his own dad. And on Saturday night, when he achieved that “goal” our family went out to celebrate at his favorite restaurant.

Trust me, it seems morbid, even to us. But I also have to remember that my dad has lived without having father for most of his adult life. As Dad became first a husband, then a father, he had no one to turn to for advice or with his fears. He had no one to guide him through some of life’s trials, no grandpa to hand off his daughters to in the hospital once they were born, no one to take out for Father’s Day baseball games, no one to stop and tell him that they were proud of the man he’d become.

And because we knew how much this day meant to him, and how much we love having him here with us, we celebrated. We celebrated our father’s life and the fact that we still have our Daddy to go to for advice or with our fears or for affirmation. And we celebrate that our Dad has held more grandchildren in his arms than Grandpa Al ever got the opportunity to do so.

Happy Day After Dad!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Sarah
AUTHOR
1:38 PM delete

every day of life is certainly a gift to be celebrated. I think this celebration is the least morbid thing I've ever heard of! I'll certainly be celebrating if I live past 40, just to be here longer for my kids than my dad was for us. But I also remember the verse, "for me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain". God knows best and knows the exact days ordained for us, even if they fall short of what we envision or "goal" for ourselves.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
3:12 PM delete

Another post that made me tear up. I'm glad we were able to celebrate that night with him.

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
3:19 PM delete

Happy Day After, Jim. I know this was an important day for him. I am glad you all got to celebrate.

Love to you all.

(And your mom is looking fabulous :)

Reply
avatar
aggiejenn
AUTHOR
2:44 AM delete

Happy Day!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
6:29 PM delete

Okay, I don't know if it's the hormones or what, but this post made me cry. Not tear up, but cry. I'm so proud of our Dad and we're blessed to have him in our lives.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:59 PM delete

Beautiful post Jenn. It made me cry...Dad will love it.....thanks for explaining the importance to him so others can understand better. love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
9:57 AM delete

Wow. I am crying too. For Jim, I am glad for you and for all of us that you reached this milestone.

Reply
avatar