What I’ve Learned

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2 Comments A+ a-

Things I've learned since becoming a mother.  I've learned that...

... its ok to not have all the answers right away.

... grace for myself is a lot harder to come by than grace for others.

... there is nothing sexier than watching Daddy pull his children in for a hug, a cuddle, or to ask about their day.

… I will never grow tired of watching Jon play cars, GI Joes, or trains with Hudson.

... not all mothers believe the same things or do things the same way, and its ok.

... finding another mother to confide all your fears, frustrations, and insecurities is an absolute must and necessary for any kind of sanity.

... we might make a parenting decision one day, and change our mind later on.

... not all our children are the same, and will need different parenting techniques, for different reasons.

... all mothers are making decisions that are best for their families, its not my place to judge.

... date nights are also an absolute "must have". Even if its as simple as window shopping and playing the "what if" game.

... when seasoned mothers approach with well-intentioned advice, I enjoy seeing their wistful smiles as they relive their mothering experiences. I can always choose to take their advice or not at a later time.

... I will probably, inevitably, make bad mothering decisions. I can choose to wallow or learn from my mistakes.

... at this stage in my life, its not about me, its about them. My time will come later, and even then, I'll probably miss this.

... there will always be Mommy Wars. I can only be responsible for myself and my actions/responses.

... I will always become instantly sleepy when a babe of mine crawls onto my chest and falls asleep there.

... kisses and "I love you's" and child accolades are the best rewards ever.

... being a stay-at-home mom isn't about feeling fulfilled, its about what's best for our family, at this time in our lives.

... I always want to remember how hard it was being a working mom, and how thankful I am to have this time, right now.

... it is hard work raising little people. I very often feel I'm in over my head.

... I am continually awed and without words to express how blessed I am by these little ones that call me "Mama".

... motherhood has been an incredible journey. I've learned more about myself in these five years than I thought possible.

I have no doubt I'll be adding to this list in the years and decades to come, for I have not even begun to “learn it all”. 

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
kBw
AUTHOR
7:33 PM delete

I love this post. I hope you are having a beautiful and blessed evening! I cannot wait to start my journey in motherhood :) XOXO

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
12:22 AM delete

I'm so glad you shared this. It's amazing how much there is to learn about being a Mom. I never knew how much it would change my life too. I agree with everything you said.

Reply
avatar