Shocked Much?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 25 Comments A+ a-

Oh.my.word! This was, without a doubt, one of the most fun experiences in my life. And I am so thankful that we found out this way. Some of you may already know from either Facebook or Twitter what we're being blessed with. But for those that don't know, bear with me as I chronicle this special night. Or you can also skip down to the bottom if you're impatient... but not without checking out the 20-second video. Its a hoot!

As Jon and I discussed the pros and cons of waiting to find out with Baby #4, an idea came to mind that I'd previously given another girlfriend. And so I broached the idea of a BBQ with our immediate families, with a cake revealing the gender by the color of the cake filling. (I have no idea where I got this idea, nor can I take any credit for it either.) Jon instantly loved the idea and the date was set.

As we walked back to the exam room for the ultrasound, the technician kindly asked us, "So, if I can tell what the gender is, do you want me to tell you or not?" And with a sheepish grin, I explained our idea, wondering if she'd think we were crazy. She laughed out loud, said she loved the idea, and would be happy to help out.

During the ultrasound, I kept waiting for her to ask us to turn our heads any time she ventured down to "that" area, but she never did. And I swore I saw something, not just once, but twice. But since I'd already gotten several body parts wrong during the ultrasound, I wasn't entirely convinced. Regardless, the technician felt pretty certain that she saw what she needed to see, and asked for the card that I'd brought along. I laughed when she decided to duck out of the room to write down the result, and smiled even more when she handed me the sealed envelope.

Now, knowing my lack of self-control, Jon and I agreed that I must immediately take that sealed envelope to the bakery, or temptation would take over and I'd peek. I swear I didn't peek, though I was thoroughly tempted, more than once! Instead I approached the bakery counter and offered my second sheepish smile of the day.

As I explained our idea to the head baker, her smile grew wider and wider, and she asked for the card. I handed it over and was thoroughly unprepared when she opened it in front of me. As she read the contents of the card, I wondered if it was possible for her smile to get any wider. We talked about the cake, making it absolutely clear that NO colored icing be seen from the outside. And I gave her carte blanche on the outside. She did not disappoint!

I picked up the cake the next day, and my excitement increased ten-fold.

I could have easily been convinced to have dessert before dinner, but my mom and sisters were having none of that, forcing us (translation: me) to eat dinner before we brought out the cake. Imagine my horror when dinner wasn't started until an hour after I'd originally scheduled! But we made it through and at the first hint of everyone eating their fill, I demanded the cake. We all gathered around the table, and... Well, just take a look for yourself.

Towards the end of the video, you can distinctly hear my sister, Christine, say, "Its a girl!" I think I'm looking at Jon in both shock and as if to say, "Are you ok with this, Daddy of Three Girls?!" I was truly in shock as I really thought I saw a little turtle during the ultrasound, not once, but twice. But well, as you can see from the picture below, we're adding another girl to this household!


The pink-colored filling... Introducing our Little Miss Ashlynn Rose.

And the card the technician used to write it all down. I think that says it all.

So, as someone else said, Hudson gets to remain King of the Castle and heaven help the girlfriends he brings home someday. She will have to be one tough cookie to get the approval of three sisters. And yes, I'm already thinking and dreaming of this precious princess that will soon be joining our family.

God has blessed us indeed!!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

25 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
10:36 PM delete

It was SUCH a fun night! I'm so glad you (and we) found out this way. I can't wait to meet and hold my new niece.

Reply
avatar
Jody
AUTHOR
10:39 PM delete

The cake idea is neat! It sounds like Hudson will also have his hands full being a brother with 3 sisters to watch out for. Congrats!!

Reply
avatar
10:48 PM delete

Amy told me about this and now I get to see how it all played out! Tears were welling up in my eyes in the anticipation and the revealing.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:55 PM delete

Jenn-
It was SOOO fun to find out this way!! =) A special memory night indeed for all of us!! We are excited to meet little Ashlynn Rose come this November!! =) God's Blessings on this new little baby girl on the way......
We love you,
Mom and Dad

Reply
avatar
11:16 PM delete

Congrats on your little girl! I still love the idea of doing it this way :)

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
12:25 AM delete

Oh Jenn, I am so excited for you all!
What a super fun idea. Wish I could have been there for a little pink cake ;)
The video is priceless. I love how both your parents rushed over to see inside.

Reply
avatar
LDraper
AUTHOR
1:19 AM delete

How special! I loved the cake idea!! With Ian, we had the tech write the details on a card and then we went out to dinner to open it. I'm sure we looked like fools opening a card in the middle of the restaurant, crying, and then immediately picking up our phones to call family. The people around us had to be so confused!

So excited you're welcoming another precious girl.... love her name too!

Thanks for sharing this with us all... God is good!

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
7:02 AM delete

That was SO fun, what a cool idea! Loved the video, congrats to your family on another little princess! :)

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
7:06 AM delete

I teared up watching the video...such a special moment! Congratulations on miss Ashlynn Rose!

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
7:13 AM delete

Such a special moment! I have Three girls and One boy as well - and I told people when we found out #4 was a girl, "Don't feel sorry for Benjamin. When he is 14, he'll have girls ranging in ages from 12-19 running around his house. He'll be just fine!" :) HA!
That... and he'll never share a room, clothes, or have to fight for much bathroom time :)
Congratulations!
Julie Davis

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
7:24 AM delete

That is a GREAT memory to share!! I love it!!! Ashlynn (had a student named once that I dearly loved!!!) will be loved so much by her sisters and brother!! It will be great! Congrats!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
7:38 AM delete

Super cute!!! Congratulations!

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
7:44 AM delete

Yeah!!! i love the name sooo cute! I remember when we were tweeting name ideas :)

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
7:51 AM delete

omg I seriously almost teared up reading this!! This is SUCH a neat way to find out! How generous of you guys to include your family!! We may have to steal this idea for our next little one :) So happy for all of you and the new little GIRL! congrats!

Reply
avatar
9:22 AM delete

I really wish we could have done this with one of ours!! The best idea ever! I have watched it a couple times and each time I tear up a little bit! What a blessed little girl she is! Congrats Glover's! All my love!!

Reply
avatar
jenn
AUTHOR
10:15 AM delete

what a great idean -- love it!!!
i watched the video and cried....geesh!!
congratulations to you all =)

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
11:42 AM delete

I think I might have to steel your idea...unless Travis insists on seeing the proof! LOVED the video! Congrats again, little girls are wonderful!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
12:57 PM delete

This made my cry! I LOVE IT!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
1:19 PM delete

Congrats!!!!!!! Loved the video!!!!!!! I bieleve the Duggar's oldest son did this cake as well when his wife was pregnant. They cut into it on a talk show though. I love the idea!

~Christina

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
3:28 PM delete

I teared up like a baby myself when I watched the video. Congratulations and we love you guys!!!
John Tillotson

Reply
avatar
Sheri
AUTHOR
5:37 PM delete

Adorable!!! Congratulations my friend! That video is priceless! *Hugs*

Reply
avatar
9:15 PM delete

Congrats Jenn & Family!
What a beautiful name too. :)

Reply
avatar
Robin
AUTHOR
1:42 PM delete

What a cool way to find out who your new little one is :o) Congratulations and I love her name!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
2:54 PM delete

I cried. :) I am so excited to meet her!! And to introduce our two baby girls to each other!!

Reply
avatar
11:02 PM delete

This was precious -- The cheers were oh so exciting!!!!

Reply
avatar