Generational Legacy

Sunday, July 25, 2010 10 Comments A+ a-

Jon and I swung on our front porch tonight. He got my attention through the window screen and asked if I’d join him on the swing. I smiled, put the laptop aside, and joined my Love on the porch. I curled up next to him, as best I could with this growing belly, and let him set the swing in a rhythmic motion. Gracie alternated between running around the yard or laying at our feet, and I enjoyed a popsicle as we sat there. Good times. Simple times.

Jon, Reagan, and I visited his grandparents on Friday. We dropped the kids off for their last day of Vacation Bible School, and headed to their home. I love these two beautiful people, more than I can put into words. I wish I could say that it was an extension of Jon’s love for them, but truth be told, my love for his grandparents have nothing to do with Jon. I often wonder how I was so lucky to not only acquire a wonderful man, but his amazing grandparents as well. His grandparents have been our steady rock during times when life was in turmoil, they offered steadfast love and support during a time when life seemed anything but those things. Jon has such love and respect for this couple, and the feelings are very much reciprocated. We are blessed.

This particular visit was no different than any other. We gathered around the table while they continually tried to get us to eat more food, and offered more coffee, or tea, or water, because, darn it, to eat and drink means we love them. Grandpa and Grandma took turns holding Reagan on their laps while she ate a donut, and laughed when she was getting sassy. Never mind the fact that the same behavior would never have been allowed out of a child, or grandchild. We heard some of the same stories of Grandpa working 60+ hours during their first years of marriage, and of how Grandma had to fill the washing machine with water, before she could clean clothes. We talked about diapers on the wash line, and of rushing to bring everything inside before a storm.

The stories were the same, heard countless times before, Jon and I share secret smiles when the two of them start to bicker over the smaller details. I always know when Grandpa will interrupt Grandma with a correction, or vice versa, and the small smiles of pride as they share their earlier years. There’s a comfort in their stories, of knowing what’s coming next, and that this is proof that marriage works, that even in their 60+ years of marriage, they still love each other.

Reagan&GrandmaEventually we wandered outside, to check out the sheep that were currently housed in their pasture. We laughed at Reagan’s aversion to touching them, and giggled over her sheep imitation. I looked out at their pasture, then behind me at their abundant garden. I watched as Jon and Grandpa wrestled with a porch umbrella, enjoying their easy camaraderie, and unspoken communication. And when Reagan snuggled into her great-grandmother’s arms, my heart sighed.

This. This is what life is about… The circle of life. Relationships rooted in love, trust, and respect. In the belief of working and loving, in knowing and appreciating the simple things in life and the real things of value. For from two people who married over 60 years ago, they have built a life on hard work and loving hard, they have given us a beautiful legacy to uphold. And that is why when my husband asks me to join him on the porch swing, I’m going to stop and do it. I’m fairly certain there were many nights involving a porch swing for Grandpa and Grandma too.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

10 comments

Write comments
8:42 AM delete

I just love this post and this blog. Kudos to you! (Your pics are beautiful too.)

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
9:41 AM delete

What a beautiful legacy.

Reply
avatar
Mom2One
AUTHOR
12:02 PM delete

Beautiful post. Time won't slow down, but we can have a slower paced life by just taking the time to slow down and enjoy or time with family. I'm blessed with some awesome grandparents as well. =) I could sit and chat with them for hours. =)

Reply
avatar
Shari
AUTHOR
1:21 PM delete

Awww.. I enjoyed your post. Keep the memories close. :)

PS - I linked over from Jenna's Journey

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
2:47 PM delete

That is so sweet!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
9:11 PM delete

beautiful.

Reply
avatar
Allied Moms
AUTHOR
10:05 AM delete

Beautiful Post!

I am here from Allied Moms, we would love for you to come on over and meet other Christian Moms!

Reply
avatar
Kerbi
AUTHOR
11:57 AM delete

Such a beautiful post! Family and relationships is what life is about!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:56 PM delete

I love that picture and I love this post too. They ARE such a special couple.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
12:53 AM delete

Beautiful post, Jenn, about a beautiful couple and legacy. What a blessing......so sweet.
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar