A 2nd Peek

Sunday, July 18, 2010 3 Comments A+ a-

If anyone can remember from our ultrasound with Hudson, you’ll remember that for the 1st part of that ultrasound, we were told that he was actually a SHE.  We had just gotten used to the idea of Devyn having a sister named Avery, when the technician gasped and pointed out that she’d actually made a mistake.  And the proof of our little boy was there for the world to see. 

So you can imagine our hesitancy to take the technician’s verdict at face value, especially when she never focused on that area at all.  After little discussion, Jon and I both agreed that we’d feel better if we got a 2nd look and an elective ultrasound was scheduled for Saturday night.

All three children accompanied us and I fear we may have scared off the young couple who came out of the exam room, we assume expecting their first.  There we were with three children, three very young children, and a mama who was pregnant again.  A sight to behold, I’m sure.  I still giggle when I think of what they must have thought.

As the technician waved the wand over  my belly, a second time in a week, he was quick to point out the very telling three lines indicating a little girl.  There it was, the proof we desired, that yes, Baby #4 is indeed, Ashlynn Rose.  And once we saw it once, we were able to quickly point it out again and again.

We got some great 3D pictures of our little girl, despite the fact that its usually too early for such pictures.  Most 3D pictures look better once the baby has more fat deposited under their skin, but I’m still amazed at what we were able to see.  Miss Ashlynn most definitely has the same nose as Hudson and Reagan, and may even (I think) have Hudson’s full lips.  I loved getting to watch her turn her head into the placenta and snuggle in against it.  We watched as she hugged herself around her shoulders, and Jon was even a little creeped out by the clarity in watching Ashlynn kick me.

But the best part of the ultrasound?  Hands down, watching Hudson’s expressions as he took in the sight of our baby on the big TV screen.  I was absolutely floored by the fact that it was Hudson, not Devyn nor Reagan, that got the biggest kick out of seeing our baby on the screen.  He sat on the table next to me while the “doctor” moved the wand around and kept asking questions about the baby. 

And now, its all he can talk about.  Whew!  I was a little worried that we were going to have a problem with jealousy, since every time we asked him about the baby, he burst into tears and said he didn’t want another baby.  Now when we pray at night, he’s the first to pray for “Baby Ash-e-lynn” (he pronounces it with three syllables, not two).  It makes my heart so happy!

And if you’re interested in seeing the newest pictures of Ashlynn, you can click onto The Family link and scroll down.  I know some don’t care for the 3D pictures and didn’t want to put anyone off.

Tonight, I’m just feeling so overwhelmingly blessed and full of joy.  I’ve spent a good hour reading through past blog entries and looking at pictures of Devyn and Hudson at Reagan’s age, and I’m just in awe of these gifts I’ve been given.  Each child is so special to me, to our family, each bringing their own uniqueness, their own gifts to complete us.  And I’m reminded, after looking through those pictures and stories, just how fast it flies.

My cup runneth over.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
6:41 AM delete

Congrats! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to see her on this side of the womb. ;-)

Reply
avatar
alane
AUTHOR
12:15 AM delete

Congratulations on another baby girl! I love her name. And coming from a family of three girls and one boy, I'm sure she will be the perfect fit for your family. :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:44 PM delete

She's already so beautiful! I can't wait to meet and hold her.

Reply
avatar