My Comrade in Battle

Monday, June 14, 2010 5 Comments A+ a-

For those that follow me on Twitter or are friends with me on Facebook, know that our Littles have been battling quite the virus for 12+ days now.  We’ve had temps ranging from 102-104 degrees, a never-ending cough, and just overall grouchiness.  We’ve been to the doctor, to Urgent Care, and finally had to go to the Emergency Room when Hudson’s temp reached 105.4. 

Now I’m a pretty relaxed Mama when it comes to colds, viruses, and flues, meaning we’ll do what we can at home before heading to the doctor’s.  Prior to Hudson’s highest temp reading, we’d been battling his 103-104 temps for four days at home with ibuprofen, Tylenol, and lukewarm baths.  But this mama doesn’t mess with fevers in the 105-degree range.  No ma’am!  So off to the ER we went.  We’re now armed with a heavy-duty antibiotic and hopefully we’ll see the same results with Hudson that we got with his sisters after they started their antibiotics.

But this post isn’t about them, its the about the man that fathered them.  I am awed by him, and so very thankful that he is whom I’ve chosen to journey this life with. 

During these 12+ days, there were numerous times one of us looked at the other and commented how it felt like we were at war with this virus.  There were multiple times where pure exhaustion led us to fall into each other's arms, needing strength the other had to offer.  We moved around the kitchen like a dance as we dispersed various medications and administered vapo-rub to small chests.  It was reassuring to know that no words were needed when one took charge of the steam shower, while the other filled humidifiers.  One remained calm, while the other took a moment to vent or freak out over our sick Littles.

These past 12 days have given me a new appreciation for this man.  He is an incredible father, always willing to cuddle a sick child, or feed the other children when it was my turn to cuddle.  When I was truly at my wits end and feeling out of my element, he completely stepped up to the plate and knew what to do next.  I know that I wouldn’t have survived this virus without him!

Last night, after our trip to the ER and once all the Littles were medicated and put to bed, Jon and I crawled into our own bed, exhaustion radiating out of each pore.  I wrapped my arms around Jon’s back and smiled when he brought our linked hands to his lips for a kiss.  We’ll survive this virus, my comrade and I.

Babe, I know its a week early, but Happy Father’s Day!  Our family is blessed by you as the leader and father that you are.  I am thankful for the times of laughter as you pull the kids in for a good old-fashioned tickle war, I love watching them follow you around as you grill or do yard work, and I even appreciate your discipline in teaching our children the boundaries of our family and in life.  You are a good man!  And I’m so very thankful you are ours!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
5:08 PM delete

I heart that man.... and you for being the one he chose & the one to love him for life. I just do so love y'all!!!

Reply
avatar
6:14 PM delete

Hi Jen, :)
My first visit to your blog all the way from Australia. :) Love your blog! Hehe Congrats on the pregnancy, i trust the Lord knows what he is doing even though it was a suprise. Hehe ;) Congrats! Lovely! :)
Sorry to hear your family has been unwell! Hoping it will pass very soon! Would love to hear from you and get to know you better!
Melissa :)

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
9:57 PM delete

I am so glad you have each other.
You compliment one another so beautifully.

Reply
avatar
8:11 AM delete

That sounds awful! I'm so glad your kiddos are getting better. Husbands are such a blessing!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:08 PM delete

Jon IS an amazing Dad. Your kids are so lucky to have both of you. :)

Reply
avatar