Because She's a Riot

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2 Comments A+ a-

It was a great trip! Exactly what I needed and I am so thankful for Miss Amy and her amazing family. Such a blessing to be able to relax and “live life” with my internet* friend.

I would be remiss if I didn’t share Reagan moments from the trip. Not to mention the fact that I’ll kick myself if I don’t get these written down.

This was her first time flying and suffice it to say, she was not a fan at first. She was absolutely terrified of the train at DIA, crying and reaching for me from her stroller as we hurtled from concourse to concourse. And truth be told, that train terrifies me and I’m the adult.

We took three flights from Denver to Spokane to get there, only because it was one of those great internet deals. It really wasn’t a big deal, and I’m sure it helped her get accustomed to flying much faster. The first take-off, landing, and even turbulence caused her to whimper and burrow herself deeper in my side.

During our layover in the Boise airport and after having lunch (By the way, I could not get over how expensive airport food is! Good grief!) we toured one of the many gift shops. I was giggling as she made her way from one display to another, exclaiming, “Wow” or “Ohhh” or “Ahhhh” over each one.

The first day and night with Amy’s family made for an utterly confused Reagan. She was quieter than normal, more withdrawn, and definitely more clingy. I wondered if she was ever going to warm up and eventually she did. But not without her moments of, “Mom, where on earth have you brought me.”

I stopped counting the number of times people stopped me to comment on her curly hair. From little girls to moms to middle-aged men to grandparent types to flight attendants, all stopping to tell me that they loved her hair. And as soon as I mentioned that she gets it from her daddy, I’d get a telling look because it is obviously not from me.

I was even stopped in a grocery store and asked if we were taking applications for future spouses for Miss Reagan. It’s a sweet thought, if only it could work out that way.

Reagan finally warmed up to the family, and developed a special affinity for Griffin, Amy’s 3-year-old. And by special affinity I mean, she loved him. Her face broke out in a wide smile whenever he came into her view and hugs were shared, and shared often, between the two. It was a sight to behold.

Parker, Amy’s oldest and sweet-spirited one, introduced Reagan to the fun of wrestling and Reagan participated with relish. Even when the wrestling got a little more physical than what she was used to, she held her own. It was a sight to behold, an 18-month-old getting into the rough-n-tumble of boy play.

Any fears I had about Reagan adjusting to Baby #4 quickly flew out the window when she fell in love with 6-week-old Hollyn. Apparently to Reagan, Baby=Blankets and she’d round up every single blanket in the room and bring them to whomever was holding the baby. It was precious indeed!

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned Reagan’s love of men. It matters not if she’s known them 5 seconds or her whole life, she loves men. As Amy’s family soon found out. Imagine my horror when Reagan launched herself into the arms of Amy’s husband, brother, and grandfather. She was quite content to sit with any of these men and I’m thankful they were all so good-natured about it.

And I leave you with the pièce de résistance.

Reagan developed a habit of helping herself to the snacks in Amy’s kitchen. She’d make her choice, bring it to the adult of her choice (usually preferring Amy over myself) and hold it out, whispering “pease, pease”. Of course we’d be helpless to say no and would give her said snack. And she knows the good stuff when she sees it, loving the individually wrapped Milano cookies.

One night we heard her rummaging through the cupboards and I went to investigate. Imagine my delight horror when I realized she was coming to me with a wrapped Finish dishwasher detergent tab instead of her favorite Milano cookies, both of which looked very similar in size and shape. I quickly said no, put it away, and closed the cabinet. I thought it was the end of our Finish/Milano confusion. Until I received this text message from Amy the night we returned home.

“I just found the dishwasher tabs in the Milano cookie box… Reagan left her mark.”

I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as loud and as long after that text. She makes me smile.


*another story for another day, it involves a lot of unspoken words in one “ohhhhh”.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
7:46 AM delete

I love that girl. She cracks me up too. She's so much fun to watch.

Reply
avatar
Jody
AUTHOR
8:18 AM delete

The dishwasher tabs in the Milano cookie box was too funny. Reagan is too cute!

Reply
avatar