Sleep Evades Me

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7 Comments A+ a-

I should be sleeping, in fact, I WANT to be sleeping. But since my brain refuses to shut off, and I refuse to give voice to the lies that want to overwhelm me, I decided to jump over here instead. Just to get some thoughts written out. Bear with me as its after midnight and I can't be sure any of this is coherent.
  • I was determined to start potty-training Hudson this week. I've been waiting for him to show interest, since that's what we did with Devyn. And sure enough, the girl trained herself in a week! But Hudson has been a little slow on the uptake and I decided now was the time. However, 7 pairs of underwear later and he's back in diapers again. Personally, I don't think he's ready. He gets the concept, but the timing is off. And quite frankly, when its at the point where he's content to sit around in wet pants and underwear, then we've kind of defeated the purpose somewhere, haven't we? Sigh. It'll happen, someday, it'll happen.
  • I am sick. Truly sick. Every morning starts off with a visit to the toilet, and Hudson running up to say with a wagging finger, "Bad, Baby, bad!" Which is then usually followed with, "Ewwww! Gross, Mama." And then I'm trying to keep Reagan and Hudson's heads and hands out of the way, while I continue to wretch into the toilet. Its all very glamorous in our house at the moment. The magic white pills do seem to work, but I try to hold off as much as possible before taking them. A good protein-filled snack here, some mint tea there, etc, etc. But I've forgotten how miserable the 1st trimester is, and truly, its always been bad for me. Oh well, I have some time to go still before things start looking up. I didn't start feeling better until 14 weeks with both girls and it was 20 weeks with Hudson. I just passed the 10 week mark on Monday.
  • Reagan has decided that she no longer cares to have her pizza cut up. As I put the plate with bite-sized pieces of pizza in front of her for lunch, she politely handed it back to me and pointed at Hudson's plate with full slices. I tried again, putting it on the table in front of her this time. Again, she picked it up and handed it back to me. This time she was a little more emphatic with her pointing at Hudson's plate. I tried a third and final time, only I had to rescue the plate as this time I swear she was going to spike it to the floor. I finally gave her some full slices and all was well in her world again. Need I remind anyone that the girl is only 16-months-old?!
  • I don't expect to see Jon much this weekend. Between his brothers coming to visit, Jon also has his hands full trying to fix Christine's car and our washing machine. She has a broken timing belt, and our pump took a dump. We're waiting for the part to arrive, but our dirty clothes are piling up like you wouldn't believe. I even went to my parents house on Monday to wash 7 loads there. Seriously, we have a mini-mountain range going through our bedroom, which of course puts a serious dent on this SAHM euphoria I was on. But like Jon reminded me, there is one who'd like nothing better than to convince us that this can't work. And he's not above trying every little trick in the book, like a broken washing machine.
  • Devyn is coming home with new opinions, ideas, and sayings all the time now. Some of my favorites include the following:

    "Did you know Tess and Katie have boyfriends?! But they're only 4 years old and that is too young!" Praise the Lord we've drilled that into her head already.

    Shaking her head while watching DWTS, "That dress shows too much skin! She should save that dress for a date with her husband." Amen, child!

    "Mama, when I turn six, I want makeup, shoes, dresses, and necklaces. But the kid-kind, ok?! And then I want all my friends to come over and we'll put on a concert for the mommies and daddies and brothers and sisters, ok?" Sure, Love, I'll have Daddy get to work on that stage right away.

    "I have a lot of friends, Mama, a lot! I have friends at bible study, church, school, Awanas, and RIBS [side note: she means MOPS, I have no idea why she started calling it RIBS]. I have 196 friends! That's a lot of friends." Now if we can only work on that humbleness a little.

    She keeps us cracking up and I truly just adore hanging out with her. We even had a lunch date after church on Sunday, just she and I. It was a special time.

And I think I've finally hit my wall, so I'm going to publish this bad boy and get some sleep. Morning is coming way too early for this Mama.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
KatherineAnne
AUTHOR
7:11 AM delete

I hope you got some sleep, and that the morning sickness goes away soon! I hope you have a very blessed week!! xoxo

Reply
avatar
7:34 AM delete

Aw, Jenn- it is so hard to take care of three other children when you're so very sick! I will be praying, of course...

Also, I just wanted to encourage you re: potty training Hudson- boys do things in their own time, especially in this department! When he gets it, it will probably be really quick, and really obvious that it's time! So don't look at it as a step back, but just a pause! :)

Blessings on your day! At home. With your children. Praise the Lord! xo

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
8:40 AM delete

Oh friend! If it makes you feel any better, I have a mountain of laundry too! ( And my washer works just fine ;))
RIBS?? That is so funny!
You are such a great mommy, this time of puking and potty training will be over soon!
Let me know if we can help you out :)

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
10:07 AM delete

this mommy thing is all so glamourous, isn't it? :) Hang tight!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Reply
avatar
9:25 PM delete

Aren't kids the greatest!! They change your life in such wonderfully sweet ways!

Reply
avatar
Melody
AUTHOR
1:57 PM delete

It is hard to sleep when there's so much on your mind. I struggle with this a lot. But being pregnant makes it worse too. I'll be praying that you get the much needed rest you need.

Reply
avatar