Houston, We Have Some Names

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 16 Comments A+ a-

Finally! And yes, I understand that we have PLENTY of time before we really got to crunch time. Heck I have friends and coworkers (former) that took laptops and baby name books with them to the hospital while in labor. But you know me… I like names, I like throwing around names, I like playing the name game. And for whatever reason, I just don’t feel connected until I have a name to call them by.

And we’ve never used the same name for more than one pregnancy. For instance, had Devyn been a boy, she would have been Blake Jonathan. If Hudson had been a girl, he would have been Avery Rose. If Reagan had been a boy, she would have been Gavin Jonathan. So for whatever reason, we just don’t recycle names.

We came up with the girl name almost instantly, it just instantly fell in place. And yes, I still have a sister (ahem!) who is not a fan and still throws girl names at us. But nothing seems to fit as well as the girl name we’ve chosen. Again, the boy name was harder this time around as both Jon and I have some definitive and strong opinions when it comes to boy names. We had a few good strong contenders, but nothing screamed “This is it!” Until last night. And I’m breathing a sigh of relief.

Without further ado…

If Baby #4 is a girl, we will be naming her Ashlynn Rose.

I fell in love with the name Aislinn but knew no one would know how to pronounce the Irish spelling. So we decided to spell it phonetically, which also happens to include my middle name at the end of it. Rose is after my dad’s mother, my grandma Rose, who also had the very Irish maiden name of McGrath. Seems appropriate.

If Baby #4* is a boy, we will be naming him Carson Jonathan.

We both liked the name Callen but I wasn’t sure it was THE name, much to Jon’s annoyance. I liked the names Corbin and Gideon but Jon couldn’t be convinced. So when Jon texted me the name Carson yesterday after reading the name in a newspaper article, I don’t think he expected me to be so excited. But its it, that’s the one. Jonathan is obviously after his dad, and again, its a family tradition that all boys share the dad’s first name as their middle name.

Its amazing to think that we have about 8 more weeks until our BIG ultrasound, the one where we could find out if Baby is a boy or a girl. But instead we’ll be focusing on the health of Baby #4, as we’ve decided to wait to find out again. We really loved that experience with Reagan and can’t wait for that moment when we get to meet him/her at birth.

And now that we have names, I’ll spend the rest of this pregnancy wondering if its sweet Ashlynn Rose or little man Carson Jonathan joining our family.

*Yes, I edited it to say #4, instead of #5, because I am not tempting fate in any way. I'm perfectly content with four; five might just send me over the edge. =)

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

16 comments

Write comments
Rebecca
AUTHOR
6:34 AM delete

I love the names! You guys are so good about that. We actually took Susannah home from the hospital without a name. Her India birth certificate say baby girl schug. Finding a name is the hardest part for us. I can't even start thinking about it until the last trimester.
Again I love the names you have choosen.

Reply
avatar
Kelsey
AUTHOR
6:40 AM delete

Would the sister you mentioned be someone by the name of Courtney? :)

It is so fun that you now get to call your little boy or girl by name!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
6:58 AM delete

Those are beautiful names! How very exciting!

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
7:21 AM delete

You do realize you typed Baby #4 and Baby #5. Which sent me straight to laughter and simultaneously suggesting to the Lord that a 5th may be in order!

I like the names! And I'm glad you have decided because I know its important to you.

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
7:29 AM delete

I like the names!!! I had an Ashlyn in my second grade one year...I LOVED her!!!

Oh but now darn you!!! Waiting AGAIN!!! That is a LONG L O N G wait for us readers...LOL!!!

I am excited for you!!! We have names too...maybe I should go post!

Reply
avatar
8:05 AM delete

Congrats on baby number four Jenn! What a wonderful blessing to your lovely family. You really picked classic and beautiful names.

I am thrilled with my new design! Thank you again! I will be happy to write a review for you and you can always add my blog to your design portfolio. I have already had several compliments on it. A blog friend of mine is planning on contacting you for a new design for herself.

Have a blessed day. ~Melissa :)

Reply
avatar
Jules
AUTHOR
8:16 AM delete

Gorgeous names! Very classic. I love them! I thought it interesting about Aislin, though. I have a cousin named Aislin Rose and surprisingly, they don't have much trouble with people mispronouncing the name. It seems like they would but they don't. Anyway, Ashlynn is beautiful, as well. Congratulations and prayers for a healthy baby boy or girl!!

Reply
avatar
Longoria
AUTHOR
8:54 AM delete

love both of them!

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:55 AM delete

that was me;0), signed in under Travis...opps!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:57 AM delete

I love both names and I like that the Ashlynn spelling brings in your middle name. I'm hoping it's Carson in there so Hudson has someone to play sports with 24/7.

Reply
avatar
9:15 AM delete

Love them both! I think the Irish spelling of Aislinn is beautiful, but agree that it would probably be a pain having to constantly pronounce it for people.

And I love that you're going to wait to find out... I've always wanted to do that! Maybe next time. :)

(And p.s., I love your other boy name choices- Corbin and Gideon. Probably for the simple reason that I'm partial to the precious boys in my family who bear those strong names! ;)

Reply
avatar
Sheri
AUTHOR
1:31 PM delete

Ah, I love the names Jenn!! Carson was in our top "10" for boys names and our little Savannah's middle name is "Rose"! *Hugs*

Reply
avatar
3:04 PM delete

I love those names! Ashlynn is a favorite of mine as well :)

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
7:48 PM delete

Love the names!!!!!! :-)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
11:11 PM delete

I LOVE the names, Jenn! Although I would love a brother for Hudson to play with, I picture an Ashlynn Rose being added to the family.....we will see. Can't wait to meet this new little person! =)
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
3:00 PM delete

LOVE the names!!
Big hugs but still am not keen on the idea that I have to wait to find out boy or girl. I'm selfish like that ;)

Reply
avatar