Bragging on Her for a Bit

Thursday, May 06, 2010 7 Comments A+ a-

Breakfast as been eaten, Devyn and Hudson are playing beautifully together, something involving watching Hudson play hockey and Devyn visiting with his friends, and Reagan is snuggled up against my side while I write this on the laptop.  Life is good this morning!

Yesterday was quite the “Mom” day in which I felt like such a Mama with doctor appointments and parent-teacher conferences.  On days like those I keep looking around me, wondering whose life this is and how I came to be "The Mama” of this brood.  Its a very surreal feeling, one you’d think I’d be used to by now.

Reagan had her 15-month-old check-up yesterday, a month late, and while she’s still in the 1st percentile for everything, she is growing on her curve.  In fact, she’s staying on her curve better than Hudson has.  She grew 2 1/2 inches in three months and gained almost 2 pounds in that same time frame.  For those keeping track, yes, she still weighs less than 18 pounds and is still in a rear-facing car seat.  Poor girl.  She just wants to be a big kid like her brother and sister, you can see the envy on her face.

But the thing that brought the greatest smile to my face was the thing I was dreading the most.  Yesterday I met with Devyn’s preschool teacher and speech therapist to go over her progress from the year, and I left that meeting with a smile from ear-to-ear.  She blossomed this year.  I couldn’t pinpoint exactly when it happened, nor could her teacher, but something happened this year and my Devyn just came into her own.

In regards to the speech therapy, she has progressed SO much this year.  It hardly seems like she’s the same girl that started school just eight months ago.  She is a huge talker now, so much so that we can’t get her to stop talking.  But what a problem to have now!  She talks in big exaggerated motions, with a big loud voice, and has big stories to tell.  We often have to tell Miss Paige to slow down, to take a deep breath, and start over again but what she wants to tell us is so important, so exciting, and she speeds through her stories.  I had to laugh when the therapist said that she has to do the same with her at school.

She will continue her speech therapy through Kindergarten as she is still struggling with mixed sounds like sm and sp words, and struggles with the the middle L words.  But the therapist said she’d be truly surprised if Devyn needs any more help after Kindergarten.  We were sent home with some worksheets and ideas on how to work with Devyn through summer break, and with the promise to keep it fun.  Yes, Ma’am!

Then it was Devyn’s teacher’s turn and I can honestly say that I’ve never been as proud of our Devyn Paige as I was in that meeting.  Allow me to brag for a bit…

Devyn is one of the most compassionate, kind, and helpful students in the class.  She’s the first to help classmates with zippers, coats, or boots; the first to stop and ask someone if they’re ok after a head bonk or trip on the playground.  She is a friend to everyone, not singling any one child out and always willing to include everyone in play time.  She is quick to lay out ground rules for play time, doling out play roles for house, etc. but never in a bossy way.  (According to her teacher, at home she can be a little bossy with her brother.  Its an oldest sibling thing.) 

And while she loves playing with others, Devyn has a confidence that allows her to do things with or without friends.  If she wants to run over to the Science Table or the Writing Center, she’ll invite others to join her but even if no one wants to, she heads over to those tables anyway.  I LOVE that about my Devyn, and I pray that confidence stays with her in the years ahead!

We’ve known these things about Devyn, but its always wonderful to have them reiterated from those outside our family.  While we will always strive for excellence in scholastic skills, it is far more important to us that our children have a strong, Godly character.  Its their job to be a light in this world, to their classmates, and their teachers, and I have no doubts that Devyn is a light in her classroom.  Especially when her teacher thanks us for the job we’re doing in raising Devyn, that she is an absolute joy to have in class and a delight to teach.  She is to us too!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Jody
AUTHOR
12:34 PM delete

Devyn sounds so adorable with how she is in her classroom. You and your husband must be very proud parents!!
Way to go Devyn!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:02 PM delete

This brought tears to my eyes. I'm very proud of miss Devyn too. She is such a special, tender hearted person. I love her.

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
2:54 PM delete

Character always counts more for me, too! Way to go, Devyn!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
5:55 PM delete

This post just made my auntie heart SO proud. I could not love her more

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
4:30 AM delete

Miss Devyn Paige....what a sweet, tender spirit she has. I truly see her being a light for Christ to others. I pray that her light becomes stronger and stronger and that her love for Jesus and for others continues to shine. She is truly a special little girl. What a blessing to all of us. I am so proud too and love her sooo much!!
Love, Mom

Reply
avatar
Stacey
AUTHOR
1:32 AM delete

What a delightful update! Thank you for sharing! You have every right to brag on those beautiful girls of yours - so proud of Devyn Paige!!! What a year!

Reply
avatar