Munchkins 1 and 2

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1 Comments A+ a-

Munchkin #2, Hudson Jonathan – My little man, my sports fanatic. I’m not sure what has changed within the past few weeks, but suddenly my son is a confident and social child. He’s had a number of appointments these past couple of weeks and whenever I was asked if he’d go back on his own accord, I answered with an absolute no. Needless to say, he proved me wrong every time, following the dental hygienist or the evaluator with his arms swinging and this little march that he does. He makes me smile.

One of those appointments was for Hudson to have his speech evaluated by our local school district. For whatever reason I thought it’d be easier, having already gone through this with Devyn, but it wasn’t. It was still as humbling and heart-wrenching as the first time, and I still cried as they went over the results with me. I think part of the reason is that I feel as though there’s something I’m lacking as a parent that would allow both my oldest children have speech issues, and in my own feelings of failure, I’ve been scared to broach the subject here. Hudson speaks more than Devyn ever did at this age, but its still not at the level of most three-year-olds. And the biggest difference between Hudson and Devyn is that Devyn could’ve cared less about communicating, her needs were still being met. But Hudson very much wants to communicate and when he can’t, he gets incredibly frustrated and upset.

The results were what I expected, and we’re being referred on to school district’s speech, occupational, and physical therapists for further evaluations. (Just to clarify, they don’t think anything’s wrong with his motor skills, but its all part of the evaluation process.) I’ll be sure to keep you all posted.

He has one more week of soccer and then he’s done for the season. I have absolutely adored getting to watch my little man in his element and you can tell he adores that one-on-one time with his daddy. (Have I ever mentioned that I think Hudson’s love language is Quality Time? It’s very obvious to those of us that are close to him.) He is still very attached to his baseball bat or golf club, and even took it with him to his MOPS group last week. His teacher pulled Jon aside last night and asked if she could be Hudson’s agent. We laugh, but truly, that little boy is gifted with some athletic ability.

Munchkin #1, Devyn Paige – We are drawing to a close on Devyn’s preschool year and she has learned so much during this year. We have our final parent-teacher-speech therapist conference next week and I’m both excited and anxious to hear their thoughts on our Miss Paige. As a parent, I’ve seen tremendous strides with her speech, with her social interactions, and her interest in learning. Its been fascinating to watch her develop and grow, and I’m in awe that in a few short months I’ll have a kindergartner. Wow!

Devyn continues to be an excellent big sister to both Hudson and Reagan, but I’m starting to see some of the small sibling “stuff” that can annoy her. I’m then quick to allow Devyn some alone time to recharge and regroup. She is truly an introvert at heart and those alone times do wonders for her spirit.

She is still my sensitive and emotional one, which can often drive her daddy a little crazy. I often joke with him that he hasn’t seen anything yet, just wait until the hormones arrive. He doesn’t think that’s very funny. But she especially tuned in to the nuances and dynamics of both our immediate family and both extended families. She is very insightful, even at five years of age, and I’m constantly amazed at what she comes up with on her own. She’s already taken to praying for her newest sibling, and has even started praying for Christine’s future baby every single night.

She can’t wait to take ballet and swimming lessons this summer, is looking forward to having Mommy home with her every day, and has made grand plans to spend time with her many friends (her words, not mine), including her best friends, Emma and Addison. And the family cabin is never far from her mind, asking when we get to go again. Sigh. A girl after Daddy’s own heart…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Neely
AUTHOR
5:27 PM delete

I so love your posts about the kiddos! You should link up to my fuming Friday tomorrow....since you designed the button and all :)

Reply
avatar