An Explanation

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 31 Comments A+ a-

Some of you saw our hidden announcement yesterday. Here's the rest of the story.

There was nothing out of the ordinary. No sign, no symptom, no reason to suspect anything.

But as we relaxed that Saturday afternoon, just two days after I'd quit my job, I suddenly had a thought. "Hey Jon," I called to my husband. "When did we go to Arizona?"

He gave me a look, and then said the dates.

I did some quick math. "Hmmm. Uh, Babe?" I started to say.

"Yeah," he interrupted me, "you're late." On one hand, it irked a little that he was keeping better track of my cycles than I was, but on the other, at least he wasn't surprised.

I asked if we should go get a pregnancy test, but we decided to wait until we actually had a need to go into town. After a quick text message to some friends, I suddenly found myself driving a short distance away to pick up some extra pregnancy tests a friend no longer needed; she’d gotten her first positive a few months earlier.

On the way there, I did more calculations and went over any real or imagined symptoms. I was truly convinced that the stress of deciding to quit and then giving my notice at work was playing with my cycles.

I got back home and went straight to the bathroom, forgoing any need for first morning urine, and completely forgetting it was past the kids’ bedtimes. I just wanted a yes or no.

I stared with an intent eye on the windows of the test, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the first line, faint at first, growing darker with each passing second. At first I hoped against hope that perhaps this test was different and the control line was first. (I've taken enough tests to know better, but that's what desperation does to a person.) But then the second line appeared and I took a deep breath. I had no choice but to acknowledge God in a moment that cut me at the knees. I had reality staring at me in the form of two blue lines.

I braced myself for the inevitable and went out to the garage to tell Jon that Baby #4 was on its way.


Pregnancy Q&A
  1. Was this planned?
    Many are not going to believe us, and that's ok. But no, absolutely not even remotely close to planned. You can imagine how foolish I feel with how I prefaced my quitting-work announcement with “no, we’re not pregnant”.

    Unlike our surprise with Reagan, where we knew we wanted a third and the timing was just earlier than planned, we weren't even sure if #4 was going to happen. Jon was adamantly done with three, and while I've always wanted four, I was looking forward to having 2010 as a pregnancy-free and breastfeeding-free year. I figured we could start discussing the idea of having a fourth after Reagan turned two.

  2. What was your reaction? And Jon's?
    My initial reaction was not complete shock like the first time, but more of resignation, and worry about Jon’s reaction.

    Once I told Jon and I started processing our new reality, I'll admit there was crying. Don't get me wrong, every baby is a huge blessing and we're thankful. However I'd just quit my job two days earlier, a 4th wasn't even being discussed, and now we have less income but another mouth to feed. You can imagine the stress.

    Jon reacted the way I thought he would. Thankfully he was already pretty certain that I was, so there was no big surprise. I got a hug, a long one. But again, as we started processing, more raw emotions came out. He was disappointed, but not upset. Thankfully I have a husband who believes in God's will, regardless of our own plans.

    We’re still processing but two things do stick out to us. One, we feel this is even a bigger confirmation that God wants me at home with our children. A big neon sign, if you will. Two, God is the Master of timing. I had every intention of quitting my job a week later than I did, but for whatever reason I felt strongly that I should quit that Thursday. And when we got our positive pregnancy test two days later, I knew why. Had I waited to quit, I know I would’ve been tempted to stay at work until this little one was born. But its time for me to be home with our children, enjoying these months with them before another little one joins our family. His timing is as perfect as ever.

  3. How far apart are Reagan and Baby #4 going to be?
    Reagan is the exact age Hudson was when we found out we were pregnant with her; I'm guessing she'll be 22-23 months old when this baby is born.

  4. When are you due?
    I am due at the very end of November! When I first told my mom and after she had calmed me down, she said, "Well, it looks like you'll start and end in November." And it’s true; Baby is due 10 days after Devyn's birthday.

    4 children in 6 years. Um yeah, this so wasn't in our plans.

  5. Will you find out the gender?
    This has not been decided yet, but we're both leaning towards no. We loved not finding out with Reagan, but it would be great to know so we can figure out room assignments, etc. I guess we’ll decide on this one later.

  6. Have you decided on any names?
    Many of you know that Jon and I love having names picked out before we're even pregnant. We love playing the "do you like this name?" game, but Jon wasn't even interested in doing that for fun once Reagan was born. You know, because we were done having kids and all.

    So even though we have plenty of time, I still feel like we’re behind and we’ve been frantically talking names. I’m pretty sure we have our girl name, but once again, we’re having issues with a boy name. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, boy or girl; the only stipulation is that the name must end in “n”.

  7. Are you done now?
    YES! Totally, completely, 100% done! We are going to be pretty maxed out with four, and while some women can mother more beautifully, I am not one of those women. I grew up as one of four, I love even numbers, and this is absolutely it for us.

    We’re already talking sterilization options with my doctor. Jon feels strongly that since I’ll already be in the hospital that I should get my tubes tied, and truthfully, it makes sense to us. But we’ll see. I can promise you this, by the time we leave the hospital, one of us will no longer have working parts.


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

31 comments

Write comments
Neely
AUTHOR
6:49 AM delete

Oh Jenn what amazing news! Congrats!! God really does have a plan :) I love the name Griffin just saying also for a girl kaitlyn!! So excited for you!!

Reply
avatar
Haley Anderson
AUTHOR
6:53 AM delete

Yes AMAZING!!! Congrats! You guys make gorgeous babies! And you are both such great parents! Yay! Yay! Yay! I'll be thinking of names ;) All my love!

Reply
avatar
KatherineAnne
AUTHOR
7:04 AM delete

Oh my goodness gracious! Congratulations!!! He really does have a plan for y'all and what a beautiful plan it is :o) XOXO, Katherine Anne

Reply
avatar
Jody
AUTHOR
7:42 AM delete

Congrats on your news!
Boy names: Aaden, Brendan, Ian, Sean,
Girl names: Karin, Addyson, Allison

Hope to be reading more updates about your pregnancy!

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
7:51 AM delete

You're an amazing mom and woman, number 4 is going to be such a blessing to your family! God's plan and timing is so perfect, sometimes it's a little scary! Congrats again, I'm *SO* happy for you guys! =)

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
8:22 AM delete

I've already said it, but a million congrats! I'm over the moon for you and can't wait to watch your little belly grow! You give me courage:).

Reply
avatar
Katie
AUTHOR
8:47 AM delete

I am very happy for you guys!!! I know the last time we talked you said you really did want a number 4!! Congrats!!! It will be great!! I love having 4 and can't imagine life without all of them...its crazy, but GREAT!!!

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
9:11 AM delete

Jenn,

Let me start by saying, I love reading your blog! Its amazing how your words reach out to me; how they help me process things in my life that I am struggling with. You always challenge me to see the good in everything; to see God's perfect will in my life.

Congrats again on baby #4.

Mindy

Reply
avatar
Dana
AUTHOR
9:24 AM delete

Congratulations to you!

Reply
avatar
Melissa
AUTHOR
9:57 AM delete

Jenn,
This blog post really touched my heart. Your honesty about your mixed emotions, and your faith and trust in God is so beautiful and inspiring. You are a wonderful mom. God will provide for you and your family - not only financially, but emotionally and spiritually as well. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers. I know you can do this; you've already done such a great job with your wonderful family!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:58 AM delete

God definitely works in mysterious ways! I'm so glad he prompted you to quit when he did, your kids are going to love having you home. And even though I'm not sure that I could handle 4, I think 4 is a GREAT number. I love that my nieces and nephew(s) are going have eachother all of their lives.

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
10:25 AM delete

I am beyond happy for you, Jon and the kids.

Reply
avatar
11:04 AM delete

Congrats to you and Jon and the Kids!!!!

=0)

Reply
avatar
Kamma
AUTHOR
12:23 PM delete

Congratulations, Jenn and Jon and the rest of the clan. I noticed that little number 4 lying on the ground and wondered what was up. So happy for the way God is shaping your lives. Love you!
Kamma

Reply
avatar
Joyfulness
AUTHOR
1:27 PM delete

Very nicely explained. We felt much the same way when we were surprised with #4. Love her to pieces and wouldn't have it any other way - but it was a shock at the time! Congrats to you all! That's really wonderful news.

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
1:47 PM delete

please know I'm taking all the credit for braking the story... haha, I'm a regular Harriet the Spy! but seriously, CONGRATULATIONS! holy cow, that's awesome!

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
2:16 PM delete

Awesome, Amazing, Wow. Congrats you guys. What wonderful news. We are so happy for you. Enjoy your time at home!

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
2:23 PM delete

You know I am over-the-moon happy for you and your growing family!

God's at work in such a real way in your life. It's a beautiful thing. Thanks for letting us travel along in your journeys.

Thanks for making me a "great" aunt again :)

Reply
avatar
Paula
AUTHOR
3:52 PM delete

YAY!! Looks like this is the year of number four, although I am getting number 3 and 4 at the same time!? Anyways, congrats!!!! I am happy for you.

Names:
Boys
Aiden,Colton, Jayden, Ryan,
Girls
Addison, Katlyn, Ashlyn, Ryan

Can't wait to know!!!

Reply
avatar
MK
AUTHOR
5:22 PM delete

Oh my gosh! I am so excited for you guys! I thought I couldn't be reading that right at first.

I am so glad to hear that you guys recognized the hand of God in your life. Isn't that so special?!

Well, enjoy every movement and kick from inside. I hope you are feeling well. Let me know if you need anything.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
5:43 PM delete

Yay!!! Perfect timing w/the job situation! So excited for you and your family!

Reply
avatar
6:35 PM delete

Congratulations, what wonderful news!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
9:03 PM delete

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is incredible news and we serve a BIG and Mighty God who's timing is PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
10:38 PM delete

Jenn-
Congratulations again, honey. Although there will be times you feel overwhelmed, rest in God's plan for you and Jon's lives. This little one is a blessing and planned by HIM!! We are here for you and will be there to help!
Love you, Mom

Reply
avatar
Julie
AUTHOR
5:44 AM delete

Our #4 arrived near the end of Nov. last year - and she was a HUGE surprise. She is 19 months younger than my son. My oldest wasn't quite 7 when she was born, so technically I had 4 in less than 7 years too! And I cannot think how many times I've thought "God, I'm so glad Your plans are better than my plans." :) Congratulations on blessing #4!
Julie D.

jewels0330@gmail.com

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
9:36 AM delete

OMG, CONGRATULATIONS to all of you!! What an amazing blessing!! No worries, you are right, God has a plan for you and this was a HUGE sign! I am so happy for you guys!!

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
10:04 AM delete

Well, we had Alex and Devyn pretty close together! Here is to 2 more cousins so close in age! Congrats to you!

Reply
avatar
Lorena
AUTHOR
2:08 PM delete

Jenn, I understand you feelings of desperation and of being overwhelmed. I am sure there is a little excitement in there too! I am happy for you. Sometimes I wish God would surprise me with an unplanned baby!

Reply
avatar
9:40 PM delete

so when are you going to fit in that visit to Spokane! :) congrats on the baby and staying at home

Reply
avatar
Miss
AUTHOR
10:34 PM delete

CONGRATULATIONS!!! =)

We had 5 in 7 years....so, I understand =)

Reply
avatar
Stephanie
AUTHOR
10:56 PM delete

Oh my goodness congratulations! What a wonderful story of how God works. I don't mother beautifully either but I still get the "your the best mommy in the world" comments so don't worry they'll remember the good stuff mom!

Reply
avatar