March Madness, Baby!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4 Comments A+ a-

I’ve mentioned before how much Hudson loves sports! Little Man even went to bed with his golf club again last night, which he continues to alternate using as a golf club or a hockey stick. And now even Reagan has joined in on the fun and the two of them will chase balls (and pacifiers) around the kitchen floor.

We know he didn’t get his love of sports from his Dad, who prefer outdoor sports (i.e, fishing, camping, snowboarding, four-wheeling, etc.) over organized indoor sports. Truth be told, the only sport Jon will watch on TV is the Broncos, an occasional hockey game, and, of course, fishing. (Don’t get me started.)

But Hudson may have very well gotten his love of sports from me, which I got from my dad. Papa is an avid sports guy! Obsessed really. He has yet to live down the story of asking about the Broncos score when Mom was giving birth to me. I know Dad is ecstatic to have Little Man as into sports as he is, and I love snuggling on the couch with Hudson while the two of us catch a basketball game or a football game.

I love sports; it brings out a very dangerous competitive spirit in me. So much so that I have constantly begged my dad and brother-in-law to let me join in on their fantasy-football-type competition they hold every year with each other, Dad’s best friend, and Caleb’s best friend. I have begged. Pleaded even, only to be turned down every single time. They won’t let anyone else play, even stating that when one of them dies, that person gets to choose their replacement and it won’t be me. (Please know, this is all said in good fun. Even if I don’t agree that I should play too!)

However, I saw Boo Mama’s post about the upcoming March Madness and her group on ESPN and I’ve decided to join in. I have the brackets all printed out, along with several other “experts” completed brackets and I’m doing my research. I am going to have a blast choosing teams and getting them entered in the computer and waiting to see how I did. I’m a dork and I truly can’t wait!

But nothing made me laugh out loud like when my brother-in-law, Jeremy, sent me his completed bracket and said, “You might have better luck if you choose by who has the better mascot or who has the prettier school colors." Truer words were never spoken.


I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Mary
AUTHOR
8:01 AM delete

This made me laugh.out.loud. When I worked at a country club a few years ago, the guys let me in on the golf pool - you had to pick a guy in each of the major tournaments and then won based on how he finished.

I chose my guys (because I wasn't into golf then) based on how cute they were or if I liked the way they dressed.

I won.

The entire pot.

$400.00

Yep.

You may wanna listen to your BIL.

(Oh. I also won the nascar pot that way too - hahahahahahaah)

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
10:35 AM delete

gotta find an all-girls Fantasy Football group, it's SO fun and completely consuming. Me playing in a FF league has probably saved our marriage because now J's not the only one obsessed with it.

My family does a March Madness bracket every year too... not to brag (but we've met) I always win. SO much fun!!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
11:27 AM delete

Wow, my husband can be a jerk can't he?

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:10 PM delete

Ha ha! Jeremy makes me laugh. Although I do like his idea. ;) Have fun with your march madness bracket. I hear people become obsessed.
I don't know why Caleb and Dad are so exclusive, but I don't think they're going to change. Ever.

Reply
avatar